Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New user with a few questions on transmission and a winch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Jul 2, 2002.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

This is a cool site. Just looking around here I found a lot of what I needed to know. Anyway, I came across a 8000 pound ramsey and a warn winch. Ramsey is the kind that are on flatbed tow trucks and the warn is a old one. I think the he said it was a 8274.What would you guys go for? For a transmission I was just wondering what would be good a700r4, 4l60e or a 4l80e. I think I have it correct. Do I have any other choices? Sorry to make it so long. Thanks for the help.

Mike

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Get the 8274. They still make them and they are a damn good winch. They transmission depends on what you have and what you are going to do with it. The 4l80e, I believe, is like a computer controlled TH400 with overdirve and might be the best choice but you will have to figure out the computer hookups. Good luck.

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

First of all, get the Warn 8274 winch...one of the best ever. As for the tranny, I'd stick with a properly built 700R4 for your 84 K5...that is the tranny the truck came with, so it would be a simple drop in. The 4L60 and 4L80 would require you to swap in more computers and more wiring to get them to work on your truck...it canbe done, but much more work...and remember to get the largest tranny cooler you can find with whichever one you choose!

4. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Looks like I am going to loose the warn. He wants 400 for it. He only wants 200 for thr ramsey. Is it that bad a winch?? My 6.2 has a 400 in back of it. I know as soon as I find it I will go to 1 ton gear with 36 or 38" tiers. So an overdrive would be a good thing to get I was told. I was told to stay away from 700r4. Anyone on here put a 4l80e in there k5? What is there to do?

Thanks for the help.
    Mike

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well, to do the 4l80e u would need like they said all the computers and stuff. What the person who told u to stay away from the 700R4 was talkin about was the very early ones. They were the bad ones, after 87(?) they re-did them so that they were more reliable. I have a TH400 and would like an OD and if i switched i would go w/ the 700 since there are not as many wiring issues. ALOT of the people on here run the 700R4 so they can testify to its reliability and you wont need to be an electrician.

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Your TH 400 is one tough tranny, plus it can be rebuilt/built even stronger for low dough. If you pick your one ton gearing right the lack of OD shouldn't be a problem.

My D60/14FF came with 4.56 which nessitates an OD tranny for any highway duty. If you manage 4.10 or even 3.73 you would pretty content. I've got a 700R but I'm not toohappy with it. It was rebuilt before by someone who didn't have a clue. Now I'm saving for a NV4500.

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

If you want the strongest go with an nv5600, but its a stick shift. I'd go with the 700r4, they have fixed all of the original problems with them, its a straight bolt in, no extra wiring, just be careful the tv cable and its all good. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 4L80E in a K5 - I run the factory computer system with it. I'm putting a 4L80E in an 86 k30 with a 6.2L diesel and a NP205 - I have a stand alone computer for the transmission - aftermarket made by TCI.