Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Valve Covers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Logan, Oct 25, 2000.

1. Logan

Logan Registered Member

Time to dress up the 350 a bit...I've finally had enough of my ugly, rusty, leaky, silver-spray rattlecan valve covers.

I had a nice set of Edelbrock aluminum covers picked out, but it looks like they're not going to fit because of my A/C compressor -- they're 2" taller than stock. So....I'm looking for recommendations. I keep finding flimsy chrome covers, and I'm not interested. I'm looking for something that's actually going to look decent, seal properly, and last. I need a hole for the PCV valve, and one for oil...That's it.

"Shiny" isn't a prerequisite - I'm not the type to wash under the hood, so chrome just ends up being dirty chrome. =P

If you've got any pics, or links to sites with decent equipment, I'd love to have 'em.

Thanks!
    -Al.

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I went with Edelbrock chrome. AC Delco also makes a set. They are stock height and run about $50 for the set. For gaskets, I'd use the Fel-Pro permaseal with the metal reinforcement. Torque them to 60 In Lbs and forget about them.

3. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

You pretty much just need to look for a "stock height" or "short" valve cover. The "tall" valve covers you picked up are intended to clear aftermarket valvetrains with roller rockers and stud girdles. If you end up with a set of stamped steel units, pick up a set of "spreaders" while you're at it. They'll most likely save you leakage problems in time.

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I have a set of high Edlebrock covers on my 350.

Last night I changed the Valve Cover Gaskets and I had to remove the A/C compressor and the compressor's bracket to get the cover off and out.

Are you sure they won't fit ? removing the compressor is really an easy task .......

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://stoopalini.coloradok5.com/index.html

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had a lot of vave cover leaking problems with my Jimmy too. I finally got a set of the older style Edelbrock cast aluminum finned valve covers. I got them free from my brother-in-law who had them lying around his garage. Mostly what I like is that they are very rigid so they clamp very evenly and I haven't had a leak since. They are regular height, not the tall ones.

Rene

[​IMG]

6. SilverSolder

SilverSolder Registered Member

Sorry to expose my ingorance here but what are 'spreaders'?

SilverSolder

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Buddy of mine got a pair of black aluminum anodized from Carr Chevrolet here in Portland. Says they are a GM part, check with a dealer.......only thing is they were $125 a pair but veryyyyyyyy nice (saw them the other night we started up HIS new motor).

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

8. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

A spreader is a little piece of metal that evens out the preassure from the bolts holdin´ the valvecover.
    I´ve got tall M/T alu valvecovers myself. I really like the looks of them.

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]