Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"new venture gear" 241 price?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Jun 14, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

\"new venture gear\" 241 price?

whats one go for? it has the 4:1 low, i'm looking at the HD model

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: \"new venture gear\" 241 price?

I think you are looking at the nvg241 which is what came in the newer jeeps with the 4-1. It will in no way hold up to your truck and the spline counts are wrong. The regular NV241 is a truck t-case but the 4-1 model is a jeeper model. I went through this last year at this time when I saw it listed on the web and I saw 241 thinking it was the same as the NV241 or NP241 but after emailing them they gave me the low down.

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i though the new one that came out in petersons this month was maybe a bolt in for the k5, if not, atlas are highly recommended right?

5. willyswanter

Yes an Atlas is good, I have heard mixed things about them being used in a fullsize due to the aluminum case but they are a good case.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I just looked them up in the book at work. NP241 $900, $600 cost.

7. willyswanter

NP241 is a completely different transfer case, there half ton chevy stuff.

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    NP241 is a completely different transfer case, there half ton chevy stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back that tubed out rig of yours up for a second!!???!!?!?!

The guys at NVG have all the prints for the NP241. It was my understanding that New venture bought out New Process and the rights/parts to their stuff. When I was dealing with NVG on my clocking project, we traded back talks and prints on the 241 all day long. The NEW 241 that is in the Jeep is the Rocktrack (or some other mumbo jumbo) but is a very SIMILAR case to the 241 that is in the 1/2 ton stuff. Which is ALSO real similar to the stuff that is in Dodge's, ie the 241 and 241HD.

Did that ramble make ANY sense?

9. willyswanter

Yes they look identical on the outside to the normal 241 found in trucks. But to get the 4-1 planetary in there they had to make the sun gear and the pinions or whatever there called smaller and weaker. They don't recommend it for anything over the size of a jeep and input splines are not correct all as well as the mounting holes in the face.

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Why go with an atlas? Don't forget to factor in the cost of an adapter since the atlas doesn't bolt up to anything made by GM....

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes they look identical on the outside to the normal 241 found in trucks. But to get the 4-1 planetary in there they had to make the sun gear and the pinions or whatever there called smaller and weaker. They don't recommend it for anything over the size of a jeep and input splines are not correct all as well as the mounting holes in the face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'm feeling better now. I knew this "new" 241 was a new animal, the guys at NVG are PROUD of it, but you had me worried for a second. I thought your original post was saying the 241 in my truck wasn't anything like any of the others. They are all just alike, only a little (lot) different /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've been misinformed. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The 4:1 241 that comes in the Jeep Rubicon (and is available from the aftermarket as the 241OR) looks almost nothing like the 241 that came under K5's. First difference is that it has a drivers side output for the front driveline, like the GM IFS trucks have. Second difference is that the case is freakin' huge as compared to the 241 in a K5 and has a LOT of extra ribbing to deal with the additional torque load put on it by the 4:1 ratio. The extra size is for the gigantic planetary gearset that they installed in it. It dwarfs the 2.xx version. The differences are readily obvious if you see them side-by-side.

But even with all the extra beef, it still may not be up to living under a 6,000 pound truck riding on 38's. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    whats one go for? it has the 4:1 low, i'm looking at the HD model

[/ QUOTE ]

I want your 241. I still don't know if I can fix this case I got from you. Let me know what you want for it.

14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

come on down, i have yours here that i pulled when i bought the re-maned one, when do you want to pick it up? i have some things i want to discuss with you anyway, the new zip is 92867, its yours free, come and get it, not this weekend though, maybe next week or this week before friday

15. willyswanter

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've been misinformed. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The 4:1 241 that comes in the Jeep Rubicon (and is available from the aftermarket as the 241OR) looks almost nothing like the 241 that came under K5's. First difference is that it has a drivers side output for the front driveline, like the GM IFS trucks have. Second difference is that the case is freakin' huge as compared to the 241 in a K5 and has a LOT of extra ribbing to deal with the additional torque load put on it by the 4:1 ratio. The extra size is for the gigantic planetary gearset that they installed in it. It dwarfs the 2.xx version. The differences are readily obvious if you see them side-by-side.

But even with all the extra beef, it still may not be up to living under a 6,000 pound truck riding on 38's. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, I meant it looked identical to the BW4401's.

16. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Why did you buy a re-maned one? Was yours going bad?