Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new vibration after sitting a while - help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by creampuff90k5, Jan 16, 2003.

1. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

I know this vibration issue has been done to death, but I tried a search already and couldn;t find any help...

See, the truck had been sitting in my driveway unused for about four or five months due to work and travel constraints. Now that I am starting to use it again, I notice a strange vibration that was not occuring before. It happens under light load from about 35 all the way through 65 mph. In fact, it even vibrates a little just coasting down from say 45 to 30mph. No vibration present under heavy acceleration.

So my question is: What would cause a vibration to develop from just sitting?? I spend a few hours underneath checking on the usual suspects like motor & tranny mounts, U-joints, frozen hubs, bearing, etc... but everything was fine and tight. Like I said, there was NO vibration at all before I stopped driving the truck for a few months. What could cause this?

2. TED

TED Registered Member

I once let a truck sit a long time and the tires got flat spots on them. (They were not round anymore). It felt like a vibration and was caused by sitting in one place too long.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I agree on the flat spot in tires theory but if it's not then it could be some frozen U joints.

4. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Is the vibration felt in the steering wheel or the
    seat of your pants?
    If it's felt in the steering wheel you probaly have a flat
    spot in your tire try rotate ft to rear and road test agine.
    If felt in the seat of your pants possible u-joint.
    Hope this helps,
    Bo
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your help so far. The flat spot on the tire(s) thing was my very first thought, but I've been driving the truck every day for almost a week and the vibration hasn't gone away, so I kind of ruled out the tires. They would have regained their original shape by now, right?

The vibration is not coming fron the front end. So, that leaves the U-joints, I guess? The U-joints on the rear driveshaft are only about a year old. Is there anything I can do short of full replacement to break 'em loose?

6. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

If you have flat spoted the tire, it will never fully be round again.

I had a frozen ujoint in my old truck and it acted up much the same as you are describing. I found out one cup was frozen. I'd replace them if they are frozen but you might try and grease them and they might break loose. But remember if that is the problem that the forzen joint has induced an extreme amount of heat into that ujoint and probably caused some major needle bearing wear.