Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Vibrations & Sounds

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LA91Blazer, Sep 21, 2001.

1. LA91Blazer

LA91Blazer Registered Member

Hi all !
    I recently added a 6" lift, with alot of ORD stuff to my rig. She ran great for about 3 months. Now she is vibrating when I accelerate. What is this symptomatic of?
    She is also making a loud CLANG sounf from the tranny/xfer case when shifting from forward to reverse or vice versa. What is this symptomatic of? It will also make this sound when driving on the freeway and going from coasting to accelerating.
    Any Ideas?
    My guess is the vibration might be my uni joints are starting to go.
    I have no idea about the noise.

thanks for the help
    I'll get pics up when my membership goes through.

BlazingWolf

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Heres a good check. With the engine off, put your truck in neutral with the parking brake on or the wheels blocked. Roll under the truck and rotate by hand the real axle and look look over the cv joints while your roll it back and forth, up and down. If everything moves together tight but it rotates quite a bit, you might have excessive wear in the diff, most likely the case if your running stock axles and big tires. Given the vibration though I'd look at the pinion bearing, the transfer case rear bearing (might show leakage) and your cv joints as the cause. The cv joints should be tight with no play at all, sometimes lightly worn ones wont be exposed by a hand rotation. Do the same to the front. If everything looks ok, try getting someone to load up the truck with the brakes on shifting into drive and reverse while you watch the under carriage from a safe place, this might expose the problem too.

What, Me Worry?

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Did ya drop your t-case when you lifted it? If not that could be causing a vibe from the drive shaft angles....

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
    <>< PSALMS 23 ><>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I just realized you said it drove fine for 3 months.... I'd check u-joints... my rear drive shaft had a bad one and that was the problem...

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
    &lt;&gt;&lt; PSALMS 23 &gt;&lt;&gt;
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>

5. LA91Blazer

YUP DROPPED TH T CASE 1 1/2 INCHES...

BlazingWolf

6. LA91Blazer

I'm gonna try Borrago's recomendation tomorrow and see what I find...

BlazingWolf

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

What CV joints are you refering to in the rear? Are you talking about the "U" joints? If so, that is a good way to check. Just push up and doen on the driveshaft at the rear end side and see if there is any play. If so you just need to replace the U-joints. Problem most likey lies in that your previous U-joints were worn adn when you added the increased angles due to the lift, the u-joints they wore out completely.
    Replace them and you'll be happy.

"you know... the guy with the BAD A$$ spring perches!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

8. LA91Blazer

Thanks Guys (and Gals!) for the advice, I'll check tomorrow and let u know...

BlazingWolf