Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new vortec tbi intake

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryan22re, Jul 31, 2005.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That's almost up to the cost of the GMPP smog legal vortec TBI intake isn't it??

In any case, an aftermarket vortec carb intake w/adapter has got to be cheaper than a dedicated TBI intake. (from what I've seen thus far)

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

well, i found the gmpp intake for $324, but i was wonder who makes it, so maybe i could get it cheaper.

ryan

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The only place you can get the vortec to TBI manifold that I know of is GMPP. They must have tied up the design with patents so no one else can sell them. I heard the manifold is made for GMPP by Edelbrock but dont know if its true. Edelbrock does not have a vortec to TbI manifold.
    Cant get them any cheaper unless you find used or Ebay.

As Dorian said cheapest way is a 4 barrel Vortec manifold and TBI adapter.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd be surprised if Edelbrock DIDN'T make it.

I had to get the scoggin-dickey TPI Vortec intake for my setup, and I even asked Edelbrock about it...yes, they told me they made them for SDPC. (scoggin) So I asked SDPC just for the heck of it, they wouldn't tell me. :)

Just recently Edelbrock released their "own" Vortec TPI base, I'd be really surprised if it wasn't identical to what I bought. It's not much cheaper than the SDPC piece as I recall when Edelbrock first released theirs.

As an aside, I *just* thought of this, but now it makes sense, with all the talk about Edelbrock having crap quality control anymore: I couldn't use the stock truck oil pressure sender at the back of the block, because the intake casting overhung that area. If I put the sender on with a bunch of adapter fittings BEFORE I installed the intake, it would have worked, but then I couldn't pull the oil pressure sender without removing the intake lol.

This was tested with the engine on a stand, so it's not just something that was noticed during an intake swap.