Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new vortech motors, thinking about them

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Dec 31, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My boss had me take his truck on a bank run today, its a 2002 GMC 1500 with the 5.3L motor. After driving that all I have to say is, I want a 6.0L for the truggy. I used to want a big block and all but forget that, a 6.0 with LS1 aluminum heads and the stock injection setup would be sweet. I need to save a couple grand to buy one but yeah I want it. Forged pistons from factory, nice 100 shot of nitrous, headers, intake, man that thing would be sweet. Anyone have experiences with these motors? I jumped on it leaving town and chirped second gear in a completely stock automatic truck /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

They are very good motors. They got fast in 96' and then got even better in 99' with the new motors(like that 364ci) that you were driving. I don't think LS1 heads would do much because the stock heads are already very good ones. Make sure that is what you want...those are very expensive complicated motors and I think you would be better off with a built SB or BB.

3. jmd

jmd Registered Member

The pistons are NOT forged. Just because they have cold piston slap issues does not mean they are forged.

Matthew

4. playtoy1

playtoy1 Registered Member

i like my vortec in my 98 after it warms up sounds like it is a diesel when cold
    now the vortec heads with the bigger springs and retainers on my 60 over 350 absolutly screams give me more gas please
    had to upgrade to 1/2 inch line and holley pump to keep up with them

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I've been thinking I'm gonna sell my burban and pick up a 96 or newer 2500 pickup for a tow vehicle/ driver. I want a new sled though :-/

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

The pistons are NOT forged. Just because they have cold piston slap issues does not mean they are forged.

Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

the LS based engines i have seen from the factory do in fact have forged pistons.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So how do you tell forged pistons from cast or hypereutectics?

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

the LS based engines i have seen from the factory do in fact have forged pistons.

[/ QUOTE ] Yes but the 6.0 and 5.3 are Lq motors not LS

9. jamesjones

jamesjones Registered Member

5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 8.1 are all considered LS1 based engines. That 6.0 is sure sweeeeet. A lot of FBody guys are dumping the 5.7 for a 6.0 and making killer big bore motors. From what they say the 6.0 Block is much better and easier(cheaper) for high cube horsepower engines. 430 RWHP and 18 MPG is not a hard figure to come by with those bad boys. I'm planning on dropping a 6.0/4l80e combo into my 72.

James

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    So how do you tell forged pistons from cast or hypereutectics?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think you could probably tell from the specs on acceptable piston to wall clearance if those are available anywhere. Obviously cast pistons (hypereutectic or just regular cast) are going to run significantly tighter than forged.

11. dyeager535

And this has been checked, I'm sure. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    And this has been checked, I'm sure. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said that, but it was a suggestion.

I'm pretty sure it's correct though. GM is using it to justify their piston slap issues, I don't see why they'd lie about the design.

Either way I don't really care as I wouldn't take a new GM truck if you'd give it to me, other than to sell it.

13. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm pretty sure it's correct though. GM is using it to justify their piston slap issues, I don't see why they'd lie about the design.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why they would say piston slap is normaland not detrimental when it's not consistent in all engines either. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This from the same company thats stated using a quart of oil every 1000 miles (or something equally ridiculous) is to be considered *normal* on brand new engines.