Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new vs old

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Nov 29, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

im lookin for a new DD cause my 97 yukon is just about worn out. i want to get a 3/4 ton, but i havent been able to find any 96-99 2500 4x4s like i want for the price i can afford. so i got to thinkin about older trucks. i was lookin around in the for sale section here, and i saw a few NICE 3/4 trucks for what i could sell my yukon for. i saw a real nice 3/4 ton 4x4 91 burb that is just about exactly what i want if i was to get an older truck. anyway, what are yall's opinions on new vs old? my yukon's resale value has just about been cut in half since i bought it, and it seems like a nice old body style truck's resale would be about the same in a few years (if still in good shape) as it is now. only problem i can see with an older truck is gas mileage.

thoughts on the differences in reliablility?

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

just the parts being worn out more /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. thezentree

but see, my 97 has 127,000 hard miles - and i mean hard - on it, and ive seen 87s in good shape sell for the same amount of money with 100,000 miles on em. i guess im asking if this is a wise move for a kid who's gonna be driving 4 hours twice a week and around town stuff and towing a jeep on extended road trips every now and then and going on road trips and driving on the beach and towing around a 6000lb boat in the summer. long sentence, but that just about perfectly describes what im gonna be doing with it.

i think im just gonna ask santa for an '05 CTD... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

The way I look at it I can pull out some simple hand tools and fix My Blazer or My 76 C-20. on The other hand if My 96 C-1500 takes a sh!t Im screwed cause I dont have the high dollar tools or the know how to fix it /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

The interior of the newer trucks is definately more comfortable. More creature comforts in general, but older is easier to work on. I think the newer stuff can be just as reliable as the older trucks, and when it comes to basic things like starters & alternators there is not much difference. Kind of a tough call /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I like both new and older chevies. I like the simplicity of the earlier models and I like the creature compforts and basically a much higher bar for interior "niceness" and compfortability in the late model chevies.

That would be a hard decision for me....I would probably look for a diesel powered late model like an '01-02 Dmax HD.....thats if I wanted a late chevy of course. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would probably take a late 80's crew cab long bed 3+3 with a 6.2 in good shape anyday too. Choices, choices. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I love that in this post, a 1991 truck is considered an "old" Chevy....... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. thezentree

haha, i want a vortec-era truck, but cant afford one. should i say older instead? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

why oh why couldnt my truck have kept its resale value like my sister's yota... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

you know my vote, OLD BODYSTYLE! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Plus, I can fix it if it breaks in charlotte lol, unlike the zetree, i wouldnt have a clue.....

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I would say '96 or newer. Not only do they have betterthe cosmetics and are more luxurious, OBD II is easier to work on, and then youll get the Vortec! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]

That would be a hard decision for me....I would probably look for a diesel powered late model like an '01-02 Dmax HD.....thats if I wanted a late chevy of course. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what im looking at right now! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I love that in this post, a 1991 truck is considered an "old" Chevy....... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the other day, somebody with an '84 K5 got confuzzled by my referring to it as "newfangled". (I'm so used to my '74's and '77 that anything newer is ... weird /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

-- A