Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Warn compressor winch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IGOR, Sep 13, 2006.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are two versions of this winch, a 9500 and a 12k (mid frame). Pricing on the 9.5 looks to be around $1450.00 out the door (this is not set in stone).

Weight:

Contrary to looks, the PowerPlant weighs about 90 lbs minus fairlead, remote, etc. This compares to about 80 lbs for a 9.5ti.

Compressor specs:

Air flow at 90 psi is about 5 cfm which is over double that of many compressors on the market under $1000. The most applicable pressure to judge against is 60 psi. which is the head pressure of a Schrader valve (filling a tire at “0 psi” still equates to a 60 psi head due to the valve). The PowerPlant flow at this head is approximately 6.5 cfm which will fill a 35” tire from dead flat to 30 psi in under two minutes.

Control:

A pressure switch is included with the winch. This allows you to achieve 100 psi in the intercooler and/or a vehicle mounted tank and hold it at pressure (refills upon use). Many DC compressor units on the market today will simply run until you turn them off, they stall, or they blow a pressure relief. This winch is controlled with a contactor rather than four individual solenoids.

Sealing:

Product is equipped with the same seals, gaskets etc as our 9.5XP and 9.5 Ti units.

Effect on vehicle cooling:

Due to venting and cover design, the PowerPlant has negligible effect on vehicle cooling

Pricing:

In most cases, separate winch and compressor purchases will exceed the price of the PowerPlant. This product combines two high performance products at a very competitive price.

Intake:

The intake point includes a 5’ intake hose with a filter that the user can mount wherever they like (preferably in a normally dry place under hood, etc).

The air unit is sealed as well. As with any winch product it is not recommended for submersion. Weatherproof rather than waterproof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

Where did that ad come from? Looks like a good idea.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like an impressive compressor. Big 'ol package to have in the front though.

4. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I did not see anything on the duty cycle of the compressor, when I was looking into a electric compressor that is one thing that turned me away from them, for the most part they had low duty cycles.

5. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got the ad from Pirate4x4.com - it was posted over there.

I don't know that they've released duty cycle info yet...

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dang if I had the money I would get one that looks cool

7. KingDuramax

KingDuramax 1/2 ton status

I like that. Someday maybe I will get one.

8. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I think it would be cheaper and better to get a winch and go OBA.

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

For that much cash you can have OBA, an 8274, and a D60.

10. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I want to know where you buy your parts. an 8274 is around $1000. that means you would get a D60 for $800 (i bought mine for $360, haha) and a free OBA system.

This is a deal if you need both.

11. mikey_d05

I meant a used one. A used 8274 + a homebrew york + a D60.

12. gmc4cw

yeah but a brand new 12,000 winch and brand new compressor for $1800 aint bad.

13. mikey_d05

Alright, so here's my theory. Spend $500 on a used 8274, $300 on a 9.5ti motor and conversion (which now gives you the most badass winch on the planet IMHO), that leaves $300 for a york setup and $800 to find a 60 with.

14. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Is the 8274 a really good winch? I thought they quit making them, but i found em new in a catalog, and Ive heard they are severely underrated. Its something I might be looking to get when I can cough up the dough.

15. mikey_d05

8274's are the ****. They changed the designation to 8274-50 now. If I were to do it again. I'd buy one with junk cable and a junk motor. You can adapt a Warn 9.5ti motor to them (6.0 hp :eek1: ) and put some synthetic line on it. Mine is OLD and crusty and it pulled my turd up a lot of stuff without an issue. The only thing I don't like is that mine is difficult to re-engage after you've pulled the knob out for free spool.

16. gmc4cw

they still make the 8274, but a M12,000 will out pull it any day. maybe no one agrees but I have always heard to buy a winch that can pull at least 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle it is going on. Most fullsize rigs weigh upwards of 6000lbs. or do I have the heavy frame edition K10? I'm kidding Mikey d05.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  17. mikey_d05

#1...heavy frame K10...huh?

#2...8274's aren't 8,000 pound winches despite what Warn says.

#3...If you manage to stall one (which I would give you props for) double line it, it can hold 150 ft of cable.

#4...Look at line speeds.

18. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i guess i need to do a search on this 9.5ti motor powered 8274 thing, this is the first i have heard of that

19. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

same here. BTW this thread is really starting to compair apples to oranges...

Lets asume i get my burb baried up to the frame in mud. Is the 8247 really going to be as good as a 12,000? and then lets assume that i flooded the motor at the same time. What good is a york style compressor gonna do for me. Not trying to argure Just making sure you realize that its tough to say whats better when your compairing an apple and an orange.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If you can afford the best of everything, get a 16.5 Warn and OBA or the 12k one with compressor built in.... personally, I'll stick with a 8274 and a CO2 tank. The compressor is cool, but it still needs an electrical system to feed it. Assuming you keep it full, the CO2 tank is more reliable than any compressor.

People get excited about winch ratings... overly so IMO. The 8274 has other advantages... like a spool that is isolated from the motor (keeps synthetic rope happy and cool!) and more cable than many of the 8/9000 winches also.

j