Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"New" welder Dad got, Miller Dialarc, anyone know info about this?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by sled_dog, Jan 7, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[​IMG]

Anything anyone can tell me about this thing? Dad thought it would be good for me, but being a non-wirefeeder, its useless to me at this moment. If I can set it up as a TIG its usefulness just HEAVILY increased. Buddy of Dad's he got it from said it would easily setup for TIG, but he doesn't have the stuff. He does have a SpoolGun which could be mildly useful. Anyway, anyone know the specifics of this thing?

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

whys it have to be wire feed? whats wrong with stick? better than nothin:confused:

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I can MIG weld rather well. I just need a new 220V machine. I am trying to save up and buy a Lincoln 255 right now. He figured a Stick machine with a spool gun was as good, obviouslly not understanding, it isn't.

I am still looking to start my own fabrication shop. I can't stick weld a car together for people. People don't want to pay for the look of a stick weld.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but isn't a spool gun a wire feed? :confused:

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

correct, however the feed/spool are ON the gun. Try getting into any tight spots and weld with the spool on the gun. Plus the added weight on your hand all the time. I've never used a spool gun but I don't care to. Besides which, I want a Lincoln 255 for digital adjustment it has. Amazing how often changing voltage .2 here or there can make a weld SO much better.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Got you. I thought you were saying it didn't have the capacity to run a wire feed even though you mentioned spool gun.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree on the spool gun, it's not a substitute of a good 220 MIG. I think what you have is not what you want.:crazy: Although, looks aside, I love my stick welders, Nothing penetrates like a stick of 5/32 and a 300amp machine.:bow:

8. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

was looking at getting a lincoln 255 as well, the powermig 255.It's what we used in school. What would you say the price of used one should go for.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

seen them go for around 1200-1500 in good condition.

Looks like the only thing I can do is get a box and turn it into a scratch start TIG. I already need a lot of practice with a TIG having to learn a new starting method won't help that.

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Seems to me I've seen a box like that hooked up to a standard wire feeder. Can't say for sure how it was done.

For tig it'd have to be a scratch start which would complicate things if you intend to use it for aluminum.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yea I found the info that it would be a scratch start. So bad for me on 2 counts, oh well. Dad can use it, ha.