Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new welding cart

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Feb 10, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still need to put the side handles on for the welder cables, and put some extruded metal in the bottom shelf.
    We cheated a little and used a 2wheel cart then built off it. We tend to use the welder outside alot so we can roll this in and out of the garage doors and spin it around in circles /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Not quite what I thought up, be we used about $8 worth of metal and a $15 2 wheel cart, oh $8 for the swivle wheels

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Looks good. Pretty creative using a handtruck to build from. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

John

3. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

looks great, can I have it??? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif BTW with the welders as well /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Looks great /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif BTW, when will those be arriving on my doorstep /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Nice idea! I like it! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

great idea! I like that its up high where you can get at the welder /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jjlaughner

Sorry Tazz these are staying here /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I forgot to give some specs.

The hand cart we cut the wheel braces on the back and bent them down and back to lift the flat bottom section of the cart off the ground and help center the argon tank. We welded everything with that little blue Clarke E80 arc welder (I still like the mig best /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) The plate for the tank was left over from my bedfloor project, the angle was my seat base slides /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif oh well .49 a foot I guess I can order some more /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

All in all about 6-8 hours, 2 hours spent running around... everyone had one swivel wheel but not two matching /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

With the bottom of the cart off the ground, the swivel wheels up front and the argon tank int eh back you can easily with one finger (and a toe) tip the cart back and wheel it around /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. jjlaughner

9. BadDog

Your probably already headed this way, but a couple of suggestions…

Put expanded metal on the bottom. Makes a nice shelf and crap falls through. I throw extra wire, tip dip, c-clamps and "fixtures" (aka short scrap pieces used for "stuff") and such down there.

Put some pieces of bar stock (I used rebar, cheap) on the sides to coil wires and hang grinders and such.

On mine I wired the cart with a 220 cord of it's own, plugged the welder and plaz into the cart, and I've got a quad box of 110 plugs (for grinders and such) that feed off the 220. VERY handy...

Weld a piece of scrap tube on the side near the front of the welder to make a "holster" for the MIG gun. Avoids that "oops! I laid it down and bumped the trigger." problems. I've got one on the cart and one on my new welding table and I really like it.

10. jjlaughner

Cool, thanks for the tips... The bottom of the welding cart toward the back I'm going to take one of those holiday popcorn tins and put all the extra gloves and little parts in there. For the side pieces I thought about torching and old rim I had sitting here, use the arch on the top and spot weld it to the sides to keep kinks out of the cables. and a small pull handle ont he front. I like the holster idea for the mig though. Never thought about using the bottom for scraps /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I have green buckets I put my scraps in to dig threw. The bottom I was mainly going to use for storing extra wire rolls, the tank caps from the torchs and argon, I would like to get a 10-12' welding hose and a little longer ground cable. I really wanted to do the power outlet I dea you had, but we only have 110 in our garage right now, so we have to plug in straight to the wall (the the huge cord from the camper 220v with coverter plugs on it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif). Unfortunalty there is only one main plug in we can use for the welder and air compressor, unless we have a whole new line dropped to the house and we install a new fuse box in the house. I'm trying to get the garage on its own seperate power box but dad swears we are putting up a pole barn this year /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[​IMG]
    The scraps are in the upper left bin... grinders, disks and jig saw top right, other two are truck parts and wiring stuff. This is a 6x6x30 gorilla rack, I cut the bottom section to hold the tool box in place. There are cross supports under the plywood to keep them from bowing and the metal rack from twisting out. I need two more 30x72 3/4" pieces for the top and over head storage (stack 1 green tote high 4 across). Then I'm going to make quick bolt holes for the grinder so I can move it when its not in use, then mount the vice where it is for driveshaft unjoints and holding things. My next project (garage wise) is a welding bench... modifying a fold up black and decker bench to a welding table /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

wow that was long

11. BadDog

Oh, the bottom is not for scraps in general, just the "good scraps" I use when fabing. Stuff for straight edges (1" cold roll strap), guide for plasma (sections of 1/2" square and angle iron), some sections of angle "T"d together, that kind of thing. The rest of my "scrap" and "shorts" are organized into separate piles/stacks and wouldn't come close to fitting under the cart.

And my cart isn't always plugged in either. You could still do what I was suggesting with the wired cart even in your case. It's just nice to be able to pick up power right off the cart. In my case it also reduced the number of 220 lines since I have the plasma and MIG. I have a 50' heavy guage "extension cord" hard wired into the box with a 50A 220 drop cord receptical on the end (from HD). On the cart, I have a 15' heavy guage cord with a 50A plug on the end. This allows me to keep the 50' drop cord coiled up for most any use in the shop, and I can pull it out if I need to weld in the yard or in the car port...

On the other stuff, I have multiple mounts for things too. My grinder is on a mobile pedistal. My 6" plumber's vice clamps to the work bench, or bolts to my heavy work table (made from frame sections and mounts in my receiver where the bender also mounts), or it will soon have holes in the welding table to bolt down as well. The tubing bender mount (2.5" receiver vertical from floor) also has (or will have) mounts for the bead roller and other things.

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

WOW, I really like how you made it out of a hand-truck. I might have to steal that idea, so don't put a patent on it for a couple of months...okay? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Looks nice /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I have been cleaning my garage too. Bought a similar rack system. And cleaned around the welding area. [​IMG]

14. BadDog

Oh, and one more suggestion. Add another shelf up near the top. I've lately been using it for magnets and frequent use (or currently in use) stuff like scribes, markers, my square and protractor, etc. But keep it fairly clear so it's handy for the quick access stuff. The "grips" I originally put up there got relocated elsewhere. If you want to see pics, they are still in the COG thread...