Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New winch - how do I keep it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mouse, Apr 9, 2005.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

What is the best way to keep people from stealing a new winch? I'm thinking about welding the nuts to the mounting bolts for both the winch and the bumper. That idea will make it difficult to get the bumper powder coated in the future though.

Any other viable options?

Thanks.

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't don't have one yet, but I plan to use reciever mounts front and rear with electrical quick disconnects and only put the winch in when I need it. I will also put a reciever mount on the tongue of my trailer so I can put the winch there to pull broken stuff on.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I welded the bolt heads (on one side) to the washers and the washers to the frame on mine. This way if I need to take it off I can use the grinder and cut the bolt heads loose of the washers as best as possible and use an impact and get them out.

You don't have to do alot, just enough to make it where you can't get a socket back on the bolt head without using a grinder to grind the weld away. This way a theif can't get a socket on it to get it off. If they really want it they will get it but that will stop most thieves from messing with it.

Harley

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'd look into the warranty of welding the nuts, might void it out. I've seen people weld on COVERS over the top of the bolt heads.

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

on my 8750 i can just suck the hook tight to my hawse.... then you cant get it off without a winch controller.... or cutting my winch rope :D

and how does tacking the nuts void the warranty??

6. Hossbaby50

I didn't weld the bolts to the winch itself, I welded it to the bumper.

Harley

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I guess I was hoping for a post saying " buy these special bolts that no one can remove but you" but I guess welding the bolts is really the only choice... I don't really care about a warranty (unless the winch was defective from the get-go), I rather keep someone from stealing it!

8. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

use hardware large enough to work with wheel locks.... 1/2"

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

dont trust the anti theft lug nut idea, they can be taken off with speacle 5 doller sockits just as fast as a normal nut.

i would cut a peace of tube and weld it over the nut and cap it.

or tuck it under the bumper aganst the front cross member and put a plate under neath so it is acsessable only from under the hood, just make it hart.long time to get it off.
    get an alarm for your trcuk to even a cheap one if your going to bolt that g note to the bumper.

10. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I keep mine chained up in the garage, away from thieves and the weather. Keeps it nice and shiny and about two minutes to plug 'er in the front or rear receiver and off we go!

11. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I just welded a piece of angle iron over the mounting nuts on the bottom of the winch box. Quick cut with the cutting wheel for me, lots of hacksaw time for whoever wants to steal it.

12. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

DO NOT WELD THE BOLT HEADS. In Warn's manual it specifically says to not weld the heads because the heat weakens the bolts. I would just weld something over the bolt heads. On my winch mount, I made it so you have to lower the 130 pound winch and 30 pound steel plate its mounted to in order to get it out. I didnt build in any kind of fail safe but I'm relying on the fact that its so damn heavy and it was a big enough bitch for me to install it with a floor jack.

13. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I've installed a 4x4 iron front bumper, so the mounting options are down to one. But, I like the cover-the-bolt idea. Maybe welding only 2 bolts would work...

14. Hossbaby50

If you weld 2 bolts only weld the front 2 bolts. They take less stress then the rear 2 bolts.

Harley

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, either make it removable, or weld covers over the nuts. Welding on the nuts/bolts themselves is no good, prolly gonna weaken them. Covers would be best, no way to get a wrench on 'em then. Wheel locks wouldn't be a bad idea... but there are tricks for getting them off too...

j

16. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

is crime that bad in your area??

17. originalspanksta

originalspanksta 1/2 ton status

use 2 nuts weld only one.

tighten the first nut down to hold the winch in place. then thread on the 2nd nut till its flush with the end of the bolt, and tack it there. then you only need to do minor grinding on the end of the bolt/2nd nut combo for removal.

theives will be able to loosen the primary holding nut, but wont be able to get it past the welded end nut.

18. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How about welding a u shaped cover over the bolt so you can only put like a quarter turn on the nut at a time yeh sure you could still get it out but it would make one hell of a racket :D

19. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

[guiness comercial voice] brilliant [\guiness commercial voice]

20. mrpoorboy

mrpoorboy Registered Member

tuffy security products had some kind of winch locking bolt doo dad on their web site. it covers the bolt and locks with a key. $40 bucks though.