Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New wiring harness

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazinzuk, Aug 10, 2006.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As some of you may remember I am having all sorts of wiring probs. Well sold some stuff I had and now have enough money for a kit from hot rod wiring. I am pretty sure I will go with their kit. The question I have is to those who have rewired, what extra parts will I need? I will have all the usual suspects solder gun, solder, someone who is better at soldering than me:rolleyes:, electrical tape heat shrink zip ties adell clamps etc. What else may I need. To those who have gotten 12 circuit kits, do you wish you would have gotten the 18 circuit kits (this is regardless of brand).

Just think you guys won't have to answer my stupid wiring questions anymore won't that be great. "why yes blazinzuk that will be great"

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I would have lots of extra wire on hand. Those kits are very generic, they say "GM", but all that means is GM ignition and turnsignal connectors, and from what I've seen, that's it. The whole rear section is not included, Heat/AC sections, not included, among other things.
    The fusing and distribution is all taken care of, which is the nice part.
    You will definitly to extend or add a few things yourself though, so have some wire on hand.
    Don't get that cheapy stuff at the auto parts store either.
    Reference: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162445&highlight=sxl+wire

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I went with a Painless harness on my '68 El Camino, good quality and no need to lengthen any wires. I was happy with the 12 circuits but I'm not a power door locks, power window kind of guy.