Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New work bench

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by kennyw, Apr 1, 2007.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I may have limited room in a 1 car garage, but it sure beats laying in the mud at the last house. Just put up a new workbench and have been moving the crap out of my storage shed and putting all the shelves in the garage instead.

The work bench top is actually a solid wood door with no holes cut in it yet. Picked it up off of craigslist from an office that was using them as desk tops. I have an extra one in case anyone is interested as well. Measure 32" x 82" I think.

[​IMG]

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lookin' good. I'll be building some work benches and storage cabinetry purdy soon myself. Good plan with the door, we used to do the same thing at PSU to build workstations in our computer lab. Much cheaper than going out and buying big pieces of high quality wood and building from scratch!

the house we have an offer on has a niiice 2 car garage... it will be pretty damn cool having a real concrete slab to work on. I haven't laid in the mud to work on my rig much... but I have rolled around on the nasty gravel thats in my carport quite a bit. Doesn't feel to good on the knees, hands, elbows, feet... or pretty much any other place it touches. lol! any-who, gj!

j

3. kennyw

If you want some doors I have a few extra pieces I could probably drag down to the swap meet and you could grab them from me there... they definitely make for a sturdy work surface when you screw everything together with #8 x 3" drywall screws.

4. jekbrown

not a bad idea, when is that meet anyway? Not sure why I am never really on top of the big swap meet... I park/commute from the park-n-ride that is right next to PIR 5 days a week... and I love truck stuff... and yet I never know anything about the swap meet until its already passed. lol!

in any case, I don't want ya to go through to much trouble. If ya don't have room for them or it'd be a PITA, don't worry about it. If ya got plenty of room and its no biggie tossin' them in, then yeah, I'd appreciate the hook-up! If we get that house, we have to remodel the kitchen... its just plain fuglee. At any rate, that means no $ for the garage for a while... so I'll need all the low-buck options I can get!

j

5. kennyw

I was going to throw a couple saw horses and the door in to put parts on at the swap meet anyway. If you take it on Sunday and save me the hassle of hauling it home it would be great for me ;) Swap meet is Thurs, April 12-Sun, April 15.

6. jekbrown

that sounds like a plan. :thumb: I don't really want to pay to get into the swap meet though... no extra $$$ or time laying around for parts shopping these days. When the meet ends can you roll in without forking over the $5?

j

7. kennyw

At the end of the day, Sunday you should have no problem getting in without paying. Or I could just meet you at the back gate on the way out too.

8. jekbrown

Da back gate would work for me... wait, isn't there only one gate at PIR? :confused: The park and ride overflow lot is right next to it... I park there sometimes when the main lot is full.

j

9. kennyw

There will be signs up for vendor entrance from the main gate on the swap meet weekend. Just follow them and it takes you to the back gate.

10. jekbrown

the show closes at 2pm eh? what time would be good to arrive? I assume you spend some time packing stuff up 'n' stuff.

j

11. kennyw

A little before 2pm would probably be a good time to show up. Do you still have my cell phone #?

12. jekbrown

yep, assuming you haven't changed numbers in the last few years. :)

j

13. kennyw

I've been planning on it since I moved across the state... but after a couple years I still haven't got around to it yet. PM me your # again though. Doesn't look like I have it anymore.

14. jekbrown

15. jekbrown

thanks much for hookin' me up with the doors kenny. When I get my bench set up, I'll be sure to post pics. :thumb:

j