Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newb doubler question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Aquaman, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

I have an sm465/np205 set up. i read on the ORD site, and I don't really see what should I do in order to run the np203/np205 set up. I'd kinda like to have an auto, but cost IS a large concern. A single case and my future 5.13's still won't be enough for 44's IMHO. So should I just go with a Th400/np203/np205, or Sm465/np203/np205 set up? Also, where would I find the parts I need? This is elementary and might seem as if I haven't read up on it, but I have. I just don't really get it. Having an ongoing brain fart. To tell you the truth, I am a lotta dumb.

First priority is cost - BY FAR
    Second is effort (I do my own work, yet I'm a little lazy. Go figure).
    Third is that I would like an Auto.

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

The best way would be to find a 400/203 combo. Then you can convert your existing 205 to accept the 400 (32 Spline) input. You will need to machine the bearing area to a larger diameter to accept this. The rest of the parts you can get from ORD.

3. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The best way would be to find a 400/203 combo. Then you can convert your existing 205 to accept the 400 (32 Spline) input. You will need to machine the bearing area to a larger diameter to accept this. The rest of the parts you can get from ORD.

[/ QUOTE ]Is there any way to "clock" my np205 I have right now, sot hat I could just run a divorced np205 behind it? If I could do this, then I'd be fine w/ the sm465, because I know it's saving me a lot of money. I just know that I am going to need more crawl than I have now.

4. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

You could probably redrill the face of the 205 so that the case is clocked. I haven't looked at the backside of the 465 to know if you can clock the mount there. You will probably run into floor clearance issues. You might have driveline length issues on your rear line on the shortbox. Otherwise that should work.

5. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

Floor issues isn't an issue (say what?), because I am not afraid of cutting the [censored] out of the floor, and building something new there. As long as I can get the shifters set up, and I can clock it enough to get the other 205 behind it, I'm cool. As far as driveline issues, I'm not too worried, considering the length of my current rear shaft... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Is there any way to change out parts w/ a Ford np205, so that I can put a ford np205 behind the sm465? If I could do that, then I could probably have me a nice set up.

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

The ford case will have the larger input bearing. Not sure if you could have someone make a sleeve to adapt the bearing bore down to the smaller size of the 10 spline gear. Or, you could start camping out @ the loacal parts store to cross reference bearing sizes. Try to find one w/the correct OD for the Ford case and correct ID for the 465 input.