Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

[NEWB] K5 Grill Update & Tailgate swap q's

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by xanthias, May 7, 2005.

1. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

1. Grill Update question: As I understand it, if you want to update an earlier model K5 grill with something like the GMC or Chevy versions of the 89 or 90 quad headlight grilles, You have to have the grill, headlight buckets, turn signals, headlights and radiator support? Is there a 'universal' radiator support that will work with the 89/90 quad light grilles? i.e. can you get one that would work either the GMC or Chevy versions, or do you have to match them specifically? Do you have to swap in different headlight pigtails?

2. Tailgate question: In swapping a pickup tailgate for the k5/window gate, is it a straight bolt-in? I take it you just get a pickup 'gate from roughly the same years?

Thanks guys...

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

From 73-80 youll need front fenders (Inner and outter), hood, core support (Chevy and GMC used the same core support), turn signals, lights, grille light covers, and don't forget the battery tray.

If your going from a 81-88 you'll just need the core support, turn signals, grille light covers and Lights.

Tailgate I havent done anything with....

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was also interested in the late grille swap but after finding out what the parts cost from GM it was out of the question. I guess it would be cheaper with LMC but I felt like I wanted GM parts. If you already have the quad lights I don't think it's a big challenge. Radiator support, light buckets, lights grille, turn signals, and probably another thing or two I can't remember. I just said screw it and spent $150 on a new billet grille, billet bowtie, and new headlight bezels. Looks good enough for me.

I can't help on the tailgate.

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

What he said plus don't forget that the 73-80 hoods have the spring and hinge as one piece that bolts onto the fender where the 81-91 have the spring bolted to the fender and the hinge goes into the cowl/firewall. Also the hood is different where it covers the cowl. 73-80 butts up against the windshield and 81-91 has a seperate piece that covers the cowl (so don't forget to pick that up too). Which in turn means that your windshield wipers will be in the way of the new cowl.

5. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

tailgate bolts right on there. the weld nuts are already there just get a gate adn all the hinge parts and your good to go. :D