Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newb question about steering stabilizer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Strahan, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Forgive a newb question, but is a steering stabilizer used to "tame" the power steering? I just bought an 88 K5 last night. It's my third K5, but it's been about three years since I last had one and after driving a BMW 7 series during that time I got spoiled by the nice firm steering. When test driving the K5 I was like whoa, I forgot how power the power steering is. I'd like to tighten it up a little. Thought about removing the power system but at low speeds I certainly like power steering. Is this what stabilizers are for? If not, is there any way to make the steering a little less "power"?

Thanks! Glad to be a K5 owner again, I sorely missed my ole truck ;)

2. Disturban

Disturban 1/2 ton status

yea...I guess you could say it "tames" the steering . It does tighten it up a bit , I went to the dual setup after putting on 35" tires and could really tell the difference. It especially helps with the "bump steer" , you know....how when you hit a rock and the wheel about jerks out of your hands?

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I think they are a good idea. They help on the occasions when you hit stuff and the bump steer is excessive. I do not, however, think that multiple ones are good. While they help with bump steer, they can mask other problems with your steering. Everything from worn parts to alignment problems can be hidden by stabilizers. Sometimes that can lead to more severe problems.

For example, if you have a ball joint going out and you put on a dual stabilizer, it can make the real problem less noticable. Untill it completely fails. That would be bad.

4. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks. I'm tired of listening to my woman bitch about how squirrely it is when she drives hehe.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you just want less assist, you can put underdrive pulleys.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

A steering brace will also make it tighter.

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Check for frame cracks.

8. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Posted by a butt crack!:haha::haha:

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

You can get a "quicker" steering box, like AGR.:D

10. Disturban

Disturban 1/2 ton status

x2 on the steering brace...I did that too.I just welded a piece of angle iron from the inside of the frame rail to the front side of the core support.works great.It's amazing how much that rail moves around after going to bigger tires...tie that sucker down.Bolt on kits are available as well.

11. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti 1/2 ton status

I'll add my input to the others:

Bolt on an ORD steering brace (or build one if you're the handy type) Makes a big difference. Along this same line, check for cracks in the frame where the steerning box bolts to the frame. Mine was cracked for months and I just thought the old steering bits were "getting sloppy".

That all being said, I think what you're really feeling (just as much as the "power") is the ratio of these steering systems. Coming from a BMW, you're used to a MUCH quicker ratio (the amount of steering wheel turn required to move the tires a given distance left or right is much smaller). As roadnotca points out, you can get aftermarket boxes with quicker ratios, but if that's not in the budget, start with tightening up the frame and replacing any worn steering parts (drag link, tie rod ends, etc). It'll still be sort of vague and floaty compared to a sport sedan, but it will certainly be more drivable by the missus!