Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newb Question.....

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Kamots, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Ok i know this is a newb question, but as a cb noob i dont feel to bad asking it. What is a decent CB for trail rides an such? What should i look for? Ive never used one before so be kind...lol. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif <font color="blue"> </font color> TIA

Kamots

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That's a good question. Do you want one that will have good range ??? Do you want side band ??? Do you want the standard 40 channels, or more then 40 channels ???? If I was going to go out and buy a CB for running the trails, I'd look at a Texas Ranger. The antenna will be a major factor in how much distance you can transmitt and recieve. I personally like the 102" stainless steel whip, but lot of people prefer the shorter ones. If you use a shorter one, I'd recomend a K-40. A friend of mine has a website for his CB shop. http://bigfoot8170.tripod.com/ Worth looking at.

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I would go with a Cobra LT-25? Than for an Ant. I would use a K-40 Magnet mount with a 4' whip. Had one on my 83 K5 and it worked like a champ. Ant. placement will affect the range in any direction. So you need to be aware of that. That is why centered on the top of the cab works best for all aroung coverage.

4. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

I would personally avoid a K40, due to the fact I don't like the capacitor in the matching system it uses (one more thing to possibly go wrong, mostly if you hit it with excessive power though)... I prefer the Wilson 1000 or 5000... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

I'll second the Wilson 1000 due to personal experience. I'm running a 102" whip now tho (since the Wilson got stolen /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif )

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I would check local flea markets are garage sales first. I bought a used Cobra 40 channel with mic for $4. I then went to Radio shack and got a bumoer mount antenna for $8, and a 4' antenna for $11..The range is perfect for trail rides. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif