Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newb questions-yes i've searched-

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1983k5, Nov 8, 2004.

1. 1983k5

1983k5 Registered Member

newb questions-yes i\'ve searched-

ok, i'm what you all would call a newb to the whole wheelin thing, but i've just got a 1983 K5Blazer, and i'm wantin to do sum off roading in it. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif My question is two fold; I have 15x10 rims with 33x12.5x15 bald tires on it now. I'm wanting to do some desert rompin(Idaho) and some mud boggin up north where i hear they have lots of mud. I'm wanting to put a 6" lift and 35 or 38 boggers, but have a stock(10 bolt) rear/front end, and from what i've read here, i'll blow em up pretty quick with that tire combo? what kind of axles (in the future) would i need for my particular needs and what tire/rim combo would work allright until i get the cash up to get the better axles?

Thx in advance you all have helped me more than you'll ever know with all the other post's /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    -btw 4x4, 350 crate motor with less than 500 miles on it, headers, straight exhaust to glasspacks, sounds like it could eat little children- pics comin sooooon

Sean /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Re: newb questions-yes i\'ve searched-

if yopu plan to get really crazy then you will need a 14bff rear end and a D60 front end, both come out of a older 1 ton chevy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    If you stay with thew 35's you might be able to get away with the stock axles just keep spare axle shafts with you in case you break one, or you could just up grade the rear to the 14bff which is pretty cheap, the fron is a little stronger than the rear 10b so it will last a tad longer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, i'm what you all would call a newb to the whole wheelin thing, but i've just got a 1983 K5Blazer, and i'm wantin to do sum off roading in it. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif My question is two fold; I have 15x10 rims with 33x12.5x15 bald tires on it now. I'm wanting to do some desert rompin(Idaho) and some mud boggin up north where i hear they have lots of mud. I'm wanting to put a 6" lift and 35 or 38 boggers, but have a stock(10 bolt) rear/front end, and from what i've read here, i'll blow em up pretty quick with that tire combo? what kind of axles (in the future) would i need for my particular needs and what tire/rim combo would work allright until i get the cash up to get the better axles?

Thx in advance you all have helped me more than you'll ever know with all the other post's /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    -btw 4x4, 350 crate motor with less than 500 miles on it, headers, straight exhaust to glasspacks, sounds like it could eat little children- pics comin sooooon

[/ QUOTE ] I'd start off with some 3/4 ton axles.

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm wanting to put a 6" lift and 35 or 38 boggers, but have a stock(10 bolt) rear/front end, and from what i've read here, i'll blow em up pretty quick with that tire combo? what kind of axles (in the future) would i need for my particular needs and what tire/rim combo would work allright until i get the cash up to get the better axles?

[/ QUOTE ]

those boggers will deffently kill your 10 bolts.

everyone goes 1 ton, 60 frt & 14ff rear.

boggers prolly will not be the best choice for sand, they dig like crazy.

don't really knoe much about sand i think something like a mtr would be good all around though

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ok Im gonna step in and disagree with everyone. First off You say that You want to do some "desert rompin" then You say that You want to do some mud boggin. Correct?
    I really dont see the need for big heavy axels for that. For that kind of wheeling I would say that a 2.5-4" lift would be max with adjustable shocks (for the diffrent types of wheeling). A light yet beefed up 10 bolt or Dana 44 up front with a limited slip up front and out back a simi float 14 bolt or Dana 60 (hell a beefed up 10 bolt or 12 bolt would probably work) with a locker would do the trick. For tires I would go with some 35" BF Goodrich MT's or Goodyear Mt's.
    You dont need big heavy axels for desert wheeling or some mild mud bogging. Light weight is the way to go for those types of wheeling.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Light weight is the way to go for those types of wheeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

bring a tow vehicle to get home with

sand paddles seem to work in the sand, why wouldnt a bogger?

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    bring a tow vehicle to get home with

sand paddles seem to work in the sand, why wouldnt a bogger?

[/ QUOTE ]
    How many desert trucks do You see running boggers? From what I see they tend to run MT's. Not to say that You are wrong or anything but never the less they seem to be the tire of choice for desert running.

8. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

like i said i don't know much about sand cause there isn't any around here, but the only thing i have ever seen run paddle tires are dune buggies or mud pit racers who's power to wieght ratio was a lot better than a k5 w/ a gm crate engine.

i believe for those tires to work they have to be spun really really fast, which would take a lot of horsepower.

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Its not that they 'need' to be spun really really fast.... they just require a LOT of power to turn them. They dig in and bite big time. I have seen it on a muddies S-10 that usually runs 35-36 inch tire and can spin them with his 502 like there is no tomorrow. Then throw on the 36 inch super scoops... big time differance.

[ QUOTE ]
    like i said i don't know much about sand cause there isn't any around here, but the only thing i have ever seen run paddle tires are dune buggies or mud pit racers who's power to wieght ratio was a lot better than a k5 w/ a gm crate engine.

i believe for those tires to work they have to be spun really really fast, which would take a lot of horsepower.

[/ QUOTE ]

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I suggest to stick with the 10 bolts. And wait to see if you break them. All people wheel differant and get in differant situations. Some last with 1/2 ton and 35s, others dont.

And a front 1/2 ton axle is in no way stronger than the rear. (that was mentioned earlier)

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, if you're gonna go to the 35-38" tire range, the best thing you can do is swap in a ff14b rear axle. Almost indestructable and super cheap. You didn't say anything about how much $ you have to invest in the rig... if you have a lot then go for a D60 front. If you don't have mad $ right now, you can run the 10-bolt front for now, I just wouldnt run tires bigger than 35s... especially boggers since they are a heavy tire for their size.

j

12. 1983k5

1983k5 Registered Member

allright, lotsa good info there, thanks all /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i'm gonna go by the junkyard this weekend and price some stuff, i'll let ya know what happens. Old trucks are a dime a dozen out here. The only problem i have with waiting till my axles go, is by that time i'll have allready invested in rims and tires that possibly wouldnt fit on a new axle b/c of the bolt difference? I'm gonna look at some different ones just the same Thanks again.