Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEWB Steering Box Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by THISISWEIRD, Apr 7, 2007.

1. THISISWEIRD

THISISWEIRD 1/2 ton status

So I'm a newb here and feel stupid asking this, but....

I've got a leak on steering box where the steering shaft enters the box. I've got a replacement seal and I'm trying to swap it out. Is there a way to get the shaft off without taking the box loose from the chassis? I've removed the two bolts that attached the shaft to the box, but those two pegs keep it from coming off. Any cheater hints here?

If I have to take the box off, I think I will just replace the entire box. The steering is very vague and I'm hoping this will help out. So, if I choose this route, is there a box that's recommended? Will the LMC part work well?

To those experienced folks, I already know I'm an idiot....there's no need to tell me.:D

Thanks for the help.

91 Blazer, 350, 4x4 with 6" lift kit...I've only had it about 3 weeks.

2. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

4. THISISWEIRD

Thanks guys, but I haven't even gotten there. At least now I know how to do that when I get to that point.
    How do I get the steering shaft disconnected without removing the box? It's obviously possible since in the linked thread CBBR's picture shows it just like I need it.
    Thanks again.

5. THISISWEIRD

Alright, I figured it out.

I've got lots of slop in the box, so I'm going to replace it...not just the seal. Any body have an recommendations or just something from the local autoparts stores?
    Thanks.