Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbe

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 81Bogger, Dec 2, 2001.

1. 81Bogger

81Bogger Registered Member

Okay, First off I'd like to say you all are totally awesome. I've been into 4x4in' Blazers for a few years now and had no idea that there are actually people out there that are as much of fanatics as I am. I just think it's really cool. There is so much info here, & I am learning so much!
    Anyway, back to the important stuff. I've to 2 81' Chevys, a Blazer and a Jimmy. Both are currently basically stock, but not for long. I am working on putting a built 383 Stroker in the Blazer, and the Jimmy has a newer Crate 350 engine.
    I would eventually like to swap out the axels and put 3/4 tons in, but am curious what gear ratio to put in.....I hear 4:10, 4:11alot...are these the best options? What exactly are Dana 44's and Dana 60's ?? --I am also, hopefully before spring, putting a 4" lift on both trucks with probably 33" tires.......if that sounds right?
    I know these are pretty elementary questions, but I'm new to the whole "modification" area of 4x4in' I've been going stock for so long...... ;-)
    I sure appreciate any info or sources for info anyone may have...I am very eager to learn and someday be in the field with the pros'. Thanks.

Mud under tire, and Fords in the rear view...

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the addiction.........

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, welcome to the addiction. A D60 came stock in 1 tons. D44 came stock in 1/2, and 3/4 ton's till 79 or something close to that. Then it was replaced by a Corporate 10 bolt front end, which is what you should have. As for gears, 4.10's or 3.73's should be fine for 33's. I would probably advise 4.10's, because even though you say you only want 33's later you'll want 35's, then 37's, etc. Thats just the way it works, unless you have incredible will power. 33's will fit fine on 4" of lift.

Depending on your type of wheeling you might want a D60. If you wheel hard, especially with the power of a 383 the 10 bolt won't last long. There isn't much difference between the 10 bolt and D44 in either 1/2 or 3/4 ton form. The D60 is significantly stronger then both axles. Hope this helps.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the board... first off,
    You choose you're gear ratio off what size tires. The bigger the tire the lower the gears (numerically higher) Such as i have 35's and 4.56 wich some consider a bit low.. but many other poeple on this board run those ratio. Wtih 33's 4.10's would be excellent... Check this out, it may help out. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tirel_Gear_Ratio.asp
    Jjust copy paste the link.
    Anyway, dana 44 and dana 60's are axles. Dana 60 is a strong 1ton axle and I THINK Dana 44's are 1/2 tons? Somone correct me if I'm wrong. If you get a lift Id suggest going with a 4" ORD shackle flip... or 4" springs rather than 4" blocks in the rear b/c blocks arent the greatest and can cause axle wrap (ask any other more experienced wheeler what exactly that is) But its not good =D
    I guess that answeres all you're questions.
    Good luck with your project!

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    In desperate need of a rebuild.
    Next- Eaton mech locker... Flows.

5. 81Bogger

81Bogger Registered Member

Thanks for all the info!
    I think I'm startin' to get it.......

What about pricing? what's the average I should expect to pay for a set of 3/4 axels in 4:10?

Also, know any good sources off the top of your head?
    I live in Montana, which is great for wheeling, not so great for buying stuff..........

Thanks again.

"Mud under tire, and Fords in the rear view..."

6. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Welcome.. I see you have the Blazer/Jimmy addiction.. I also have two Blazers.. as they are contagious.. now I want another one..
    What took you so long to find this place? [​IMG]
    This place is a one-stop-shop for all your Blazer-Jimmy needs.. Welcome again..

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

And more 4x4 parts sites!

www.natltire.com

And the master list! www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com