Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie 14FF Question..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5 krawler 50, Jan 5, 2007.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Hey, I have decided to put disc brakes on my 14 bolt, and today I started to take the hubs and drums off the axle. The left side came off with no problems, but the right side wont even budge. I noticed that the left side was free spinning before i took it off and the right side does not spin at all. The carrier and pinion have been removed (which i dont think has anything to do with this, but you never know). I dont know why the right side hub and drum wont slide off. So any help on how to get the right side off is much appreciated. thanks.

2. Dogman12

Dogman12 1/2 ton status

There is an adjusting window on the backing plate, you have to loosed the adjuster so the shoes will release from the drum. If they are rusty it may take a little persuading.

Good luck

3. k5 krawler 50

Alright cool, now this going to make me sound really dumb, but thats ok..haha.. is the big nut in this picture the nut that needs loosened up..?? or is it something different.. sorry for all the newb questions, but i appreciate the help..
    Cory
    [​IMG]

4. Dogman12

Dogman12 1/2 ton status

No, it is in the same spot but under the the axle. Just looks likea small whole. Dont be afraid to to beat on them a bit you are not going to use any of the parts, I would give them a few good hits with a big hammer all the way around and try and get them to spin. My right drum took a little work to let also.

5. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

No. On the bottom side of the backing plate there will be a little hole about an inch long (there are acually two of them). Shine a light inside that hole and you will see the brake adjuster wheel; it has many "teeth" around its perimeter. That wheel is what you need to turn. You will need to use a brake spoon or a large flat head screw driver. Pry downward with the tool and that should loosen the brakes. It may take quite a few turns to loosen it enough. Good luck.

6. k5 krawler 50

Awesome... I will get to that first thing in the morning.. I appreciate all the help. Thanks.
    Cory