Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie 203 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Quaddawg, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, great site. I am new to 4x4ing, but not mechanics in general, or off road (quads.... hence the nickname)

I just bought a 78 K10 and am in the process of finding out what all has been done to it. It's my first 4x4, and I am learning, so don't laugh......:p:

See the "introduce yourself" thread for more particulars..

My question is this.. I have a np203, but the truck has locking hubs on the Dana, I am guessing that someone has a installed a part-time kit in it, but what is the easiest way for me to tell for sure???

Also, what is the easiest way to figure out what gears I have? I know I can pull a cover and count teeth, or look for markings, is that the only way, or easiest way? can I jack a tire, and turn the wheel one revolution while counting revs of the driveshaft? (or vice versa) I know it would be hard to get it exact, but I could get in the ball park couldn't I?? (NOOB!!) I have to repair the speedo, and I don't have a tach yet, so I can't check the charts to get close

any help would be appreciated, I won't stay a noob too long, I am a quick learner;)

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Umm, put it into what you think is 2WD, and see if the front driveshaft moves. Much easier if you have two people :whistle:

That or jack all four corners up, and see which if 2WD moves all four wheels :D

Shift pattern should now be 4LO all the way forward, then 2LO, neutral, 2HI, and 4HI ... I think. Search for it. I only ever use 4LO and 2HI, and that should be all the way forward, and one up from the back.

Do a search on this latter; you can, but it depends on whether you have any sort of limited slip (not likely in front, might be in back.)

If your axles are original, the RPO (option) code sheet could list gear ratio; alternately, let us know what engine/transmission your truck is (and what year) and we can guess as to what it should have :)

HTH. Oh, and welcome. Good questions, so no noob-bashing.

-- A

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the easiest way to find out if it has a part time kit is to unlock the hubs and put the tcase lever into hi range and see if it moves. if it doesn't move then no part time kit.

jack up one side of the truck, leaving the other side on the ground. put tranny/tcase in nuetral, and spin the tire 2 times while counting how many time the driveshaft turns (i like to count the ujoint caps, then divide that by 4). if you get 3 and 3/4 turns, then thats 3.73, a little more than 4 will get 4.10 and so on.

4. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

Super! Thanks guys, I thought I had the general idea, but I wanted to be sure.. I have the day off tomorrow, looks like I will have plenty to do to keep me busy!

By the way, what I know so far about the truck.

350, Newer headers, Weiend intake, Edelbrock 4bbl
    Duals with new Flowmaster 30's (had them put on today)

TH350 (rebuilt)

NP203 (hopefully with part-time)

Dana 44 front with lockout hubs, GM corp 12 in back

4-5 suspension lift (still trying to figure what kit was used)

3 (as close as I can tell) body lift.. doesn't look bad

36" SuperSwamper TSL's (put them on yesterday, had 35" generic mud tires, with dry rot and no tread..lol)

Plenty of RUST on body and bed, but the frame is great, no cracks, no rust, fine for the trails.. no tears from tree swipes... :D

So you don't have to search, here are a couple of pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. blazerpunk

blazerpunk 1/2 ton status

Thats 79-80 headlight bezels and grill surounds on your 78.

Welcome to CK5.
    Might as well empty your pocket now.

6. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that makes sense, actually the bed is original, and the cab was replaced.. so, I guess they used a 79-80 cab.. cool, thanks!

By the way, the bezel on the driverside is wasted, where is the cheapest place to find one? Junkyard? don't have to be pretty, I intend on rattlecanning it camo.. not original, but hey, will look better than it does now... LOL

7. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

junkyard is almost always the way to do stuff like that (headlight bezel)
    if you have a friend at the register it can make it cheaper though ;)