Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie 350 tbi question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by snoman87, Oct 9, 2004.

1. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

My 87' Chev Crew Cab's engine just packed it in today ... Can I take a 78' 350(non-TBI) bolt it in a run it or will I have to make major modifications.

I am sure this is answered elsewhere but I don't know where to start looking

2. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

You can use the innard, if that's what you mean. Just swap over the block.
    If memory serves, the intake manifold will bolt right up to the donor engine, and so will the exhaust manifold, and the transmission.
    I'd wait for at least one person to concur with me though, it's not like I have personally done this, only thought about going from 85 305 into 72 chevelle.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You will need to swap the newer heads over, modify the intake, or use an adapter to bolt the TBI on the older motor.

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

You will also need a block off plate for the mechanical fuelpump on the older block. I think the dip sticks are on different sides too (don't know if that will be much of an issue, maybe clearance ?????)

5. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    You will need to swap the newer heads over, modify the intake, or use an adapter to bolt the TBI on the older motor.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify ... I was wondering if you could put the 78' 350 including carb into the truck. The intent is to rebuild the 87' 350 and put it back it. If I put the 87' TBI on the 78' engine I would also have to do something with the knock sensor wouldn't I. Or is that located in the intake manifold. I was hoping I didn't have to take the 78' apart at all.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You have problems with distributor and throttle cable for two easy ones I can think of.

Everything exists on the early blocks and the later ones, just swap the heads over if they are still good.

Either mess with the engines, or screw with some wiring and the throttle cable. I guess leaving the engine together SOUNDS easier, but if the engines are both out of the vehicle, it's going to be easier to swap heads IMO, besides how "clean" it will be to leave the distributor wiring intact.

As a matter of fact, I'd probably pull the bottom end apart on the old one to make sure its still decent, use new bearings on the crank and rods if it needs them, and run IT until it dies. Of course makes sure the heads are still "flat" before swapping them. Just an idea.

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Take the '78 shortblock, add the '87 heads, intake, WATERPUMP, distributer, and swap over the knock sensor. I think it should be just a swap, plub and play.

Are the the bosses present on the earlier blocks for mounting/using the newer one piece aluminum brackets that come with the serpentine belt?