Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie.....all the pro's here please help me out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigk5hokie, Apr 27, 2005.

1. bigk5hokie

bigk5hokie Newbie

Hey guys...intro time

My name is Wes, im new to the board, new to the K5 scene, and somewhat new to the 4x4 scene. Had an old CJ5....but too much went wrong within two days so i ebayed it...lol

I go to virginia tech in blacksburg va.....lots and lots of cool trails within 10 minutes of driving as it is in the middle of a valley.

I just got an 89 k5 that my parents helped me buy. Came w/a bit of work done already, although i think they overpaid by about 1000 ($5700 with 93k)

It was a 2 owner truck, first owned by an uncle...then nephew. The nephew wasnt sure of all of the work done, so he is hopefully in the process of letting me know

What i do know:
    superlift kit....6 inches? no bodylift....

36 inch superswampers

headers, flowmaster duals.....

12 bolt rear and gears front and back (not sure of the ratio)

lil cosmetic things (grill, visor and such)

now for the questions:

Does this truck come with spicer locking hubs from factory?
    What about spicer driveshafts?
    I need to find an intake snorkel and a rear spare tire swing out carrier- any place that has good ones?

Also, is anyone maybe interested in purchasing the visor? its white with some chips and whatnot....I am not sure what it is worth, but I wouldnt mind selling it if whoever paid the shipping.

Any info on these few questions would be greatly appreciated

Also if there is anyone in the MD/VA area, lemme know...maybe we can go out to some trails sometime

I will try to post some pics as soon as i figure out how...

Thanks

Wes

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

First tip Wes, and welcome to the boards, you should become a registered user... the fee is small, and keeps the site running. It will allow you to post pics, go to never before seen places, and allow you to sell any parts you want to get rid of. As for what your truck came with as stock, unless it has lockers on it now that have pink or red dials, I'd say it likely came with Auto locking hubs (what does it have now?)

If it has Spicers, then it came stock with them, and they are very good from what I've heard. No need to replace them. Hopefully, with those 36in Swampers, you have some pretty low gears in that thing, like 4.11 or 4.56 front and rear. Anything lower than that, and you will feel bogged down when you hit the gas, and it will be obvious.

Again, welcome to the boards... the people here rock, and are veritable fountains of knowledge if you ask the right questions... use the search feature often, it can usually save you from getting flamed by the guys...

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Welcome to the board..and yes become a member, especially if your new to K-5's you'll get more than your moneys worth out of this site, theyve walked me through alot. There are a few members from down that way and some from Richmond. Theres only 1 or 2 from NoVA.

I cant answer your questions 100% but I believe front axle shafts and hubs are not spicer, although I know they are available

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Welcome Wes,

Just to let you know, there is no selling stuff in the garage here...same goes for parts wanted type posts.

If you want to buy or sell you'll need to pony uip for the membership so you can post your ads in the correct forum.

Rene

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Hey Wes !! Welcome to the best Chev 4x4 site around!! we all enjoy our blazers, jimmy's amd subs alot, and we love to screw around alot too. Member up and join the fun in the lounge! :D

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Welcome Wes!

On the hubs, some models came with Spicer lockouts and some came with auto-hubs. Actually most, that I have seen, came with auto hubs. But the auto hubs work poorly and alot people swap out to the lockouts...

On the driveshafts, do they say Spicer on them or on the u-joints?

Doesn't sound like you got to bad of a deal with the lift and all. :thumb:

7. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

O.K. if you are a begining mechanic or have some tools to work with the CK5 garage IS the definative place to learn how to work on your truck. To find your gear ratio, take off the cover plate in the rear and count the ring teeth (the round gear), and then divide that number by the pinion teeth (the gear that attatches to the driveshaft), this will give you the ratio that you have. Then you can inspect your gears also. Depending on the gasket you may be able to reuse it. To fill the rear, there is a plug that fits a 3/8 th's ratchet square on the "pumpkin" refill with gear oil until it statrs to overflow. Have fun on this site.