Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie axle quest

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by s373n_rcr, Jul 29, 2004.

1. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

I am looking to start accumulating parts for my build skyward and have been searching out axles in my area. So far I have found the following,

- complete rear end from dually Chevy cubevan, complete with springs and all for $100.00cdn.
    - Chevy 14bolt, 8-lug, bolt-in floating axle, 4.10's, perches removed for $150.00cdn.
    - Dana 70, 4.10's, missing driver side axle for $250.00cdn.

I am unsure of what to get or what to look for with these axles and am wondering if there are any good links or articles with info pertaining to what I need to do this. I am assuming a 4wd donor vehicle would be easiest as I could get front and rears, rather than sourcing them seperately. What would you guys do? Where and what type of vehicle did your axles come from and how much messing around was the swap? Mine is an 89' with 10bolts at the moment and figure the first step in the right direction would be axle upgrade and lockers.

Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Go to pirate4x4.com and look around for the 14bolt bible, written by BillaVista.... itll have everything you need to know...

3. Silver84k5

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How big of tires do you plan on ??? I always vote for the 14 bolt FF rear axle, but depending on tire size, a 10 bolt / Dana 44 front may work for you, witch will save you some money. Gearing is also depending on tire size, and transmission.

5. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

Thanks for the link, excellent article. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for tire size etc...I don't think I'll go any larger than 38's and it has an SM465. I would also like to keep lift at 6" suspension tops and absolutely no body lift. If 14ff and 10bolt were an option are there 8-lug conversion for the 10bolt? Also, I was under the impression that the 10bolt wouldn't cope well with a locker. True?

6. Silver84k5

yes you can convert to 8 lug, but just get it right the first time, and buy a set of axles out of a 3/4 ton rig, as for the locker in the 10 bolt. with 38"s your gonna have to drive with finesse, and not much right foot.... And also carry spare shafts.... you will break axles, Just be sure to get off the throttle right when you hear something let go, so as not to take out the ball joints on the knuckles....

sooner or later you will get tired of breaking/replacing axles... then you will either quit wheeling or buy a d60...

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    sooner or later you will get tired of breaking/replacing axles... then you will either quit wheeling or buy a d60...

[/ QUOTE ]

Or just go down to smaller tires /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif