Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newbie bearing question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bennett, Nov 12, 2000.

1. bennett

bennett Registered Member

I found the K5 website, I've been lurking the last few weeks reading the forums.... what a great site and resource.
    I have a 90 Full size Jimmy and I have what apprears to be a bearing going out on my AC/clutch unit. Is this a straight forward fix? I'm pretty mechanical but could use some advice on how to pull the clutch and access the bearing. Its probably simple and I thought mabey you could walk me through. I only hear the bearing(noise) when AC is not on. When I switch to a load I cant hear it! by the way the compressor is only 2 years old. Any advice guys?
    Thanks

Bennett
    90 Jimmy

2. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry that I don't know how to solve your problem, but I'm confident someone will come along very soon with a solution. I just wanted to say, welcome to ColoradoK5. You have come to the right place for friendship with other K5 (and Burb) owners, and great tech support.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you only hear it when the A/C is NOT on, the bearing inside the clutch itself is probably shot. I'm not sure if that can be replaced without some special tools. Anyone else??

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

It is cheaper to buy a new unit then to have it rebuilt.
    This happened in our 89 Jeep Cherokee pickup.. The a/c repair place wanted $1,100 to replace and recharge the system with r134.
    And we just bought the compressor for $90 and had it converted to R134 ourselves.. total price to get it fixed was $240 .

It's better to have it than to need it, than to need it and not have it !!!!