Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEWBIE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by duece21, Jan 19, 2004.

1. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

JUST GOT AN 87 GMC JIMMY, 350TBI, HEADERS & 2 1/2 EXHAUST, 10 BOLT REAR AND NOT SURE ON THE FRONT, PLUS 35" BF AT'S 15X10 RIMS. Now this is not my DD, and I currently don't do any serious 4x4 or rock climbing, but would like to get into mostly off road trails not too much rock climbing. My gearing sucks and crawl up hills in the mountains like a two legged turtle. I have a freind that will swap me a 10 bolt rear for 12 bolt out of a 97 1500. Will I have any probs swap or should I wait and try to save money for 60 and 14blt. I want maybe 4.56's or 4.88's. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I see you guys give great advise on these posts and would really like your opinion.
    thanks, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    jesse

2. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would say hold out for the 14bff. I also believe that that 12 bolt won't work in your Jimmy. After 88 there rear axles were a whole different animal IIRC. Guys chime in here and feel free to help me out though....Jason

3. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

welcome aboard - i know it is pricey but i think it is best to hold out and get axels that you can really grow into...

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the upgrade from a 10bolt to a 12bolt is NOT worth the hassle. a 12bolt is not that much stronger than a 10bolt if at all /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I have actually read some articles that say the 12b is weaker in some areas than the 10b.

Depending on your location (geographically) you should be able to get a 14b F/F for next to nothing. I paid $125 for mine, which was at least $50 more than I should have paid. Scour the bone yards for 2 & 4wd 3/4 tons and 1 tons. As long as you stay with the 73-87(91) body style pickups, it'll be a basic bolt in. Note that on the 2wd 14b axles the shock mounts hang lower than the 4wd version, but that's easy to remedy.
    Also, the 14b F/F R&P is a piece of cake to set up, even if you've never done it before. And, if you get one with an open diff, a Detroit Locker is a drop-in, and only costs around $350. Detroits for most every other axle costs around $500. The downside to swapping in a 14b, however, is having to convert the front to an 8 lug to match the rear and having to purchase new wheels. The 8-lug conversion is not at all a hard thing to do, just more parts to round up and a little more money. I have herd of someone making a 8-to-6 lug adapter for the 14b F/F, but don't know much about it, nor who makes it.

Do not waste your time with a 12b.

All that being said (note: you will find some disagreement on this issue), if you don't wheel hard, only plan on crawling over moderately rough terrain, don't think you need a locker and don't plan on going bigger than 35's, your 10b should be up to the task.

6. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

You WILL grow bigger with time. Every k5 i buy gets a little bigger than the one before it. Started w/ 33's, now at 38s. Save up for the axles your GONNA need.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

First, Let me say WELCOME to the site, Hope you enjoy all the wonderfull information you WILL get from this site and stay around.
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have actually read some articles that say the 12b is weaker in some areas than the 10b.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have seen that also.

When i first started playing the 4x4 game, I had a 76 blazer. The first upgrade was a 4"lift. I bought a 77 3/4 ton long box with a blown motor and rusty body for 400.00. sold off what i could and swapped in the stock 4.10 geared axels. D44 front and 14ff rear. I was lucky, the 14ff had a locker in it. Best/cheapest upgrade I ever did. I had 40's on that truck. I beat the crap out of that truck. broke 1 front axel shaft and eventually broke the locker in rear. yes, a locker NOT a posi!
    35's is about the limet for a 10 bolt to handle. If you plan on doing ANY wheeling, I would seriosly look for stronger axels. Or maybe a whole truck as I did. Eventually, you will get the full bug and want d60, but for a minimal investment, You can get started with 3/4 ton axels.

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a freind that will swap me a 10 bolt rear for 12 bolt out of a 97 1500.

[/ QUOTE ]

12 bolts were pretty much phased out by 1982 or so. A 1997 K1500 is going to have a 10 bolt rear or a 14 bolt semi-floater. Obviously a 10b for a 10b swap makes no sense, but putting in a 14BSF would be an upgrade but not the ultimate.

I would say hold out for a 14BFF and and 8-lug D44 or 10b. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

welcome to the best chevy site on the www! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Agree with what others posted above... if you're going to do an axle swap, get a ff14b. Its dirt cheap and damn near indestructable. It shouldn't be a problem finding one with 4.10:1 or 4.56:1 gears... if you want the later, lemme know I am gonna go to 5.13s so my newish 4.56 gears will be FS soon.

anyway, for the time being the 10 bolt front axle you have (assuming your rigs front axle is stock!) should be ok. Its the rear axle thats the key... because for most front axle breakage, you can just put it back into 2wd and drive home on the rear axle. I have a D60 up front... but I still have a lil extra peace of mind knowing that the ff14b is out back and will get me home should I break something up front.

at any rate, you're lucky you found the site when you did... the people/advice here has saved me so much money and made my truck so much more capable than it would have been otherwise. Anytime I think about doing some kind of mod or upgrade, I can post questions about it here to see what other people who have actually done said mod think. Very very handy!

j

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Welcome to CK5.

I wish I'd found this site as soon as I got my truck so I woudln't have done some of the stupid things I did. Luckily, I never poured money into stupid mods like gears, lockers, or crossover steering for a 10 bolt, swaybar lowering brackets, etc.

I did waste my money on some stiff 4" springs that a year later all I could do with them is trade them off for some stiff 6" springs. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif At least I discovered the shackle flip and ditched my rear blocks

11. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT HELP!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'LL HOLD OUT FOR THE 14BFF AND MAYBE D60, BUT WILL BE SOME TIME BEFORE I CAN SAVE THE MONEY UP.