Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie Here! and 3/4 ton questions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5RON, Apr 14, 2001.

1. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

First of all "Hello!" from the east coast. Just wanted to say this forum is a wealth of knowledge for the K5.

I'm a '84 K5 owner for about two years and have lurked around here for several months before registering. My K5's condition when purchased is best described as "Being saved from the crusher". After countless hours of bodywork and more mig wire than the average welding supply store stocks, it's condition is now solid, but ugly! Not that that's a bad thing! Prolly 'cause it is painted OD green.

When purchased my wife said, "I'm not driving that friggin' thing!" Now we tend to fight over who gets to drive it. It's my first Blazer, and I found it to be most versatile.

Recently, I purchased a set of 3/4 ton rears (D44/Corp. 14 bolt FF) and with the assurance of this forum that they are interchangable with some minor mods.

After purchasing, I opened the diff covers. The D44 first, Primo!, a perfect set of gears with no rust or tooth damage. Now for the 14 bolt, ARGH! Rust (pit marks on the ring gear), although I seen worse!

Now for the questions:

Are 14 bolt R&P's comparably priced with other R&P's?

How do you adjust pinion and carrier bearing preload?

Is a R&P change necessary or can I have the ring gear just bead blasted? (Keep in mind that this is more of a tough truck than that of a show piece)

Are the brakes worth while rebuilding or go disc?(I'm finding out that 14 bolt drums are worth they're weight in gold)

Sorry for the first post to be so long but I need some advice.

I'm singing a little saprano now since I unloaded the 14 bolt from the truck! lol Man them friggin' things are heavy!

Thanks in advance.

Ron

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

welcome!!yea the 14 bolt is a bear aint it!!!!im not too sure about blasting the gears,maybe someone else can help there.im still lookin for 14 bolt gears myself,not too hard tho,so im not sure about$$$.go for the discs theyll stop better.where are you at on the east coast???(fill out your bio)and lastly this is THE BEST site out there!!

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of doing the exact same swap. Yes, the 14bff weighs a ton!! I will be doing the disc conversion I believe. The price that I got from National Drivetrain for the r&p for the 14 was $195 (thick) and $110 for the overhaul for the center section, dont remember what brand it was though and I havent checked anywhere else yet. And welcome to the board, everyone is very helpful and tons of info.

4. Daveytree

Daveytree Registered Member

Have you checked the wrecking yards in your area? There are a bunch of different 14 FF types, but I believe they all have the same ring and pinion types in the respective ratios.

[​IMG]If you don't like my driving, <font color=red> get back on the road.</font color=red> [​IMG]

5. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all who took the time to reply to a newcomer on this board!

Looks like it's gonna be a new R&P.

I did some brake pricing and found out that discs are only about an extra $50 compared to a total rebuild of the drums(includes new drums). So looks like discs for me! Calling TSM tomorrow.

Again thanks!

Ron

6. 1big78k5

1big78k5 Registered Member

I'm in the process of doing the same swap! were are you located on the east coast? I'm in CT.

'78 K5 SB400, T350, NP203, 35" Swampers

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd run the ring gear if they aren't pitted too bad. If its acceptable to run the ring gear even with chipped teeth, which it is, (depending on location of said chips) rust that does not structurally weaken it should be fine. Theres always the addage "drive it till it breaks!" heh

My 10 bolt had a fair amount of rust since I left it sit for awhile, but no problems.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

8. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

1Big78,
    We're in PA. Let me know how you made out on the swap.

DYEAGER,
    I really don't think the amount on the R&P will weaken it in any way. The thing is kinda overkill for a Blazer.

Ron

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I would worry much more about dramatically increased wear than about breakage. Depending on how pitted it is, I might drive it for a short while and keep an eye on it. Check frequently to see if it is getting too hot and work the drive shaft to see if it is getting sloppier. If there are no major warning signs like heat, noise, or increased pinion backlash, pop the pan after a while to see what is happening inside.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

10. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Jus' got off the phone with TSM and the brackets for the 14BFF are $240. WTF! What are they mabe of? The complete kit is 299.95 (brackets and rotors)

Anyone make their own brackets?

$240 for two hunks of metal!

Sorry for the rant!

Ron

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I called TSM and asked for just the brackets. They said $135.00 for the pair. I got a catalog from them couple days later and the catalog shows the same cost for the pair of brackets also. The quote you are looking at is the complete kit.

12. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

K30guy,
    Talked to a guy there named "Skip". Maybe I asked for the wrong kit. Asked for a 14BFF 1978 ( even though I don't know the year). $135,yes I'd buy them but $240, no thank-you!
    I'm gonna call again.

Thanks,

Ron

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I just realized that my previous post assumed it had significant rust (i.e. more than surface rust) on the teeth.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

14. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Called TSM again, That price is correct, $240!!!!!!!

15. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

Hi Ron, a little surface rust and pitting won"t hurt the R&P. However, depending on how much pitting there is it will be noiser. Hope this helps.

MAC

16. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

Ron,I forgot to tell you that the carrier bearing preload is adjusted by the outside collors and the pinion uses a crush sleeve.

MAC

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That price is for the brackets and the rotors. I bought my rotors from Autozone for $34 each. I then ground just a sight bit from the head of each stud so that it would seat properly in the recessed area around the stud hole. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

18. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Mac,
    I'm gonna take it apart and glass bead the ring gear. The pinion is not pitted. Thanks for the info on the pinion bearing preload. Hopefully the glass beading will take care of it so I don't have to change R&P. Funny thing about this rust thing, it's nowhere else in the diff 'cept the ring gear teeth(Maybe about 5 of them)

Harry,
    I asked twice for a price for the brackets only. The price increase, I was told was because of the new design on the "Chevy rotor" brackets. I spoke to a machinist friend of mine and he told me he could whip something up for just a couple bucks out of 3/8" plate. Time will tell. Man, why didn't I get the 3/4 ton rears a year ago when the price was less!

Yeh, was at Autozone last night and they stock the rotors and cheap too! Do you happen to know the outside diameter of a Ford F250 rotor? Wonderin' 'cause I'll need this measurement for the brackets.

Ron