Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newbie info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevyman, Jul 22, 2000.

1. chevyman

chevyman Newbie

hello all,
    This is my first post and heres the deal. Im selling my 71 Camaro SS(if I can let her go, dont know if its possible) but I have a large credit card bill I'm tired of paying. With the $ left over Im thinking of buying a K-5. So Im looking for any info about this truck. My passion has always been on old street rods and muscle cars (only Chevy of course)I've never owned a 4x4. Im thinking something in the 80's, fuel injection would be nice, i read that starts on the 89? or so. Are there any problem areas to look out for? Did these come with factory A/C or is that rare? Do these come from the factory with smog pumps? (I live in CA where anything newer then 73 you have to keep basicly stock under the hood) And lastly will $4,000 buy something decent? I just want to find something that will get me to work everyday and of course needs some work because thats the fun part.
    Thanks in advance,
    Cliff
    bearnin5@aol.com

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

TBI started in '87. They did come with factory air and it's not a rare find. I'm not sure bout the smog pumps. $4000 can buy you a nice rig, but you have to shop around, as with anything. Oh, and lookout for rust.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Try to find a '73-'75 for emmisions and they are way cool to drive around in Cali with the "whole" top off!! Lots of 'em came with air.....might be a trick to get repaired, but they have it. Good luck!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

For Fuel Injection on the K-5's it starts in 87, when the majority of the Chevy stucks went to the new Body Style. I say majority, because you could order the old square body style solid axle K-10 truck special up to like 89 or 90.

If you get a fi K-5 then yes you will have egr and I beleive a smog pump as well, whatever it has should be emmissions legal even in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

Here in GA, 4K would get you a decent rig, dont know about in CA. You would still have to do some work on it for 4K, but nothing major.

As far as K-5's go you have found the "Promised Land" I dare say that there is nothing you cant find out off this site or this board. You can also check out www.off-road.com and look in the Chevy section as well as their Chevy fullsize bulliten board.

If you are wanting to wheel the K-5 hard you will have to spend some $$ on it over time to make it more capable. If street driving is your main concern it will be fine right out of the box.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

5. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

You're lucky man. I am in San Diego, and I moved down here from Michigan when I joined the Marines. The cars out here are spectacular! I've looked at 40 year old cars and trucks, original, unmodified, that have less rust and wear on them than a 10 year old vehicle at home. So unless you find a truck that has been parked on the beach and not cleaned, or goes to the mountains regularily, you will get one in good shape.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's