Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie intro and 700R4 frustration

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gruizer87, Aug 17, 2004.

1. gruizer87

gruizer87 Newbie

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while but I finally decided to join once I got a K5. You guys are definitly a knowledgable bunch. Last week I bought an 87 K5 and it drove great. It has 140k on the original engine/tranny. I decided to go on a backpacking trip up in the Shasta/Trinity Alps (which is about a 3.5 hour drive from home) and the truck ran great for about 3 hours. That is until I lost drive and overdrive while going up an incline. So I had to finish the trip in 2nd gear and even drove all the way home that way. It's just really frustrating because I just bought the darn thing. Here is my question: If I put the shifter into overdrive the truck will start in first then shift to second but then does nothing when it tries to shift up to third, is my tranny shot? Do I need a rebuild? Or do I just need someone to properly adjust my TV cable? Any insight would be a big help. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

First off, Welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Secondly, the bad news...
    Tranny is done.. Rebuild, assuming you know a good, honest tranny guy... Or buy one from GM with a good warranty 3yr/50k.

Just my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

stick a fork in her, shes done.....

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Most likely scenario is that the 3-4 clutch pack is shot.

What happens when "it tries to shift to 3rd"? Your revs go up like you're in nuetral?

5. gruizer87

gruizer87 Newbie

Exactly, Blue85. When it tries to go to third the engine just revs up like it's in neutral. I called AAMCO and they said they would do a free diagnostics on it and tell me if they need to rebuild it or just swap some parts out. I also saw some tranny's on ebay from a company called phoenix-remanufactured-transmissions, anyone ever heard of them? They have a buy it now price of 549.00 or something like that. I really hope that it's something simple and cheap but from what you guys have said I don't think it will be. Thanks again guys.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    That is until I lost drive and overdrive while going up an incline

[/ QUOTE ]
    THis bothers me, 4 spd auto 101...never travel through hilly terrain in OD, it is just to hard on it and generates too much heat. Always drop 'er in 3rd when: pulling hills, towing, and in town traffic. In fact the only tie you should have the shifter all the way up in OD is heading down a flat road at a steady pace at say 50mph + depending on your tire size/gearing.

I agree that it needs a rebuild, sounds like the PO always left it in OD, thats what happens, the 3rd and 4th pack burns up. Don't feel bad though, 140K isn't bad at all. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif