Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie intro and NP205 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr_clean, Feb 6, 2005.

1. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I've been lurking here for about a year now and finally came across a situation where I couldn't find a specific answer to...

I have a 205 t-case I'm rebuilding and am re-installing the idler shaft assy...
    When I took apart the case the shims for the idler shaft were on the outside of one of the bearings (between the case and the bearing). From the article I'm using to guide me, it appears that the shims should go inside the gear assembly. (between the spacer and the bearings... is this correct?

Also, the article doesn't go into any detail about checking end play. Previous posts mention torquing the shaft to 138 then loosen and drive back out a little and re-tighten several times... Is this correct? I am using new bearings and races so I'm looking for .001 end play right?

Thanks to all for all your help. I've learned so much from this sight already. Well worth the cost of membership!!!

Scott

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't have any info in front of me right now but i have rebuilt 5 205's already and everyone had the shims between the case and bearing on the front side towards the transmission. I also never have torqued then loosened then retorqued the shaft either and i haven't had any troubles yet.

3. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

Thank you for clearing that up for me. That is where the shims were on my case, so that is where I'll put them back.

Thanks for the help!

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No problem, fill in your profile so we know what city you're in and what vehicle you have so we can help you faster. :thumb:

I'm in northern california as well, Fremont to be exact.

5. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

ok, I added some info to my profile.

I'm up just north of Sacramento.

My vehicle is a stock 73 Jimmy. Bought it about a year ago and now it's sitting stripped in my garage awaiting some dryer weather so I can paint her up. While I'm waiting I thought I'd rebuild the t-case (since it's condition was unknown). Next i'll freshen up the engine, by then I should be able to paint.

Scott