Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie intro and some questions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by slowpoke, Oct 1, 2003.

1. slowpoke

slowpoke Newbie

Howdy all, I got a 72 located in south Texas, near Corpus Christi. Gots lotta firewall rust, windshield frame rust, toooo much rust for resto in my book. So I am thinkin trail rig, cut the windshield, full cage, tractor puller style headers( thru the hood),cut the fenders- front a rear etc.
    I am new to blazers and gots me a new toy. I recently sold my last toy which was a Samuria, had 512's locked up 4-1 case, 33's, exo roll cage,plus a host of other stuff. Now its time for me to move up to v8 power.

So whats a good slinky type suspension...flexy? Another BBS suggested BDS. Whats the largest tire 1/2 ton axles can handle with lockers? I will have more questions later on , but wanna search the forums 1st before posting too much.
    THe coolest part is my wife and kids love 4wheeling, so the Blazer is a go.
    btw it says CST on the glove box emblem, think it got 4.10's fromn the factory? I'll have it here next to check it all out.
    thx

2. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I don't believe that BDS makes a suspension system for 1st gens. From what I have heard the Tuff Country EZ Rides have the softest spring rate that you can buy. I think probably the softest you can get is the EZ ride suspension up front with a Echobit or ORD shackle flip in the rear with the longer leaf springs. Someone will know what the longer springs are that I am talking about and where you can get them. I can't remember off the top of my head because I never wanted to go that way.
    Another way to go would be to have custom leaf packs made specifically for your application and desires.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    BTW - Welcome to the board! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Things to research: Shackle flip as mentioned above & Springer suspension(Marv Springer). This will get what you want for the rear.

I think most people say 37" is max for 1/2 ton, but most people like to stay with 35's.

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

From what I have heard Marv Springer doesn't make the Springer suspension anymore. I believe that he passed it along to one of the sponsor companies though, just don't remember which one... someone will correct me here again I am sure. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    Oh, and I wouldn't push the 1/2 ton stuff past 35"

5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    From what I have heard Marv Springer doesn't make the Springer suspension anymore. I believe that he passed it along to one of the sponsor companies though,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true.... its www.azkickin.com

You should know that the system bolts onto 1st gen trucks, BUT, there are a few subtle differences in the frame, so bolting up the stop brackets and the track bar are a little trickier....

For pics, look at "therobzilla's" webshots....

Marv

6. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

I am currently running a 4" BDS with the zero rate in the rear. I have 36" Parnelli Jones. I do get some rubbing, but I haven't cut anything yet. Good luck!!

7. slowpoke

slowpoke Newbie

Thanks for the info fellas
    I have been lookong at the Springer suspensionfor the rear, which is basically the same thing I ran on my Zuk. Its pretty much a double shackle setup, why not run this setup on the front? I did on a Zuk, granted there are differences. I am more inclined to run a double shackle set up, which allows for longer springs etc. whats the longest spring you get with this setup? what year models to get it from? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    thx