Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie Intro and T-case question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by docgab, Mar 6, 2003.

1. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Greetings all from a newbie to the 4x4/Blazer scene. I just picked up a '78 the other day and am already in love. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif It came from Nevada and has had all the smog goodies stripped off. Any smog techs that are able to help with an inventory of whats needed to pass visual feel free to chime in!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I do have a question about identifying my transfer case. I was told that the NP 203 was swapped out for the NP 205. It doesn't seem so though after searching past posts here. My t-case doesn't have the plate with the three bolts that seem to be the identifying mark for the 205. However, the speedo cable comes off of the passenger side of the case. All the pics I have seen of the 203 have the cable coming off of the drivers side. Is the cable not a reliable indicator? Thanks guys and I love this site! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

What is your shifter pattern?

NP205 is 4h - N - 2hi - 4lo

Np203 will have stuff like hi-loc or some other junk.
    -- Mike

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Whoa! You're in Penn Valley! Cool! Only like 15 minutes from me. Good to see another member of CK5 around thses parts. I live in Nevada City by the way. Work in Grass Valley.

As far as your question goes...What trannsmission does your truck have? If it doesn't have that 3 bolt idler cover, it's NOT a 205. 99% sure its a 203. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. docgab

[ QUOTE ]

-- Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything about this screams NP 203. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and looks like a duck, it must be a NP 203. Wait that's not right is it?? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The shifter is NP 203 also. It was just being told it was a 205 and that darn speedo cable that gave me second thoughts. Thanks for your input!

5. docgab

[ QUOTE ]
    Whoa! You're in Penn Valley! Cool! Only like 15 minutes from me. Good to see another member of CK5 around thses parts. I live in Nevada City by the way. Work in Grass Valley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good deal! I'll have someone close to lean on when I get stuck with a Blazer problem!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as your question goes...What trannsmission does your truck have? If it doesn't have that 3 bolt idler cover, it's NOT a 205. 99% sure its a 203. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The tranny is a TH 350. There is definitely NO 3 bolt idler cover. 203 it must be then. It must have a part time conversion kit as well. Front shaft is only active when in LOC. Thanks for the help!!

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Welcome to CK5!!

Other newbie's take note. Good introduction post, profile filled out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Good deal! I'll have someone close to lean on when I get stuck with a Blazer problem!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime dude...If ya ever need some "in person" help, send me a PM here on CK5 and I'll head down there. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also, you should come check out my clubs website and forum- www.norcalbigdawgs.net
    Club is called The Nor-Cal Big Dawgs, theres a link to the forums on the main page. Welcome aboard. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the Board!

[ QUOTE ]
    It came from Nevada and has had all the smog goodies stripped off. Any smog techs that are able to help with an inventory of whats needed to pass visual feel free to chime in!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not a smog tech (but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) but when I got my '78 Suburban it was bone stock and didn't look like anyone had even changed the plugs on it. The only thing that even remotely resembled emissions equipment was the PCV valve. That was one of prime selling points for me .... no cats, not goofy electronic carbs and the closest thing to a computer on my truck is a spark plug!

In 1975, I think Chevy started putting catalytic converters in all trucks below 6,000 pounds GVWR so you most likely will need a catalytic converter and possibly an EGR valve if it's not still there.

I think that's all you will need ..... Anyone else got any idea's??

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

-- Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything about this screams NP 203. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and looks like a duck, it must be a NP 203. Wait that's not right is it?? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The shifter is NP 203 also. It was just being told it was a 205 and that darn speedo cable that gave me second thoughts. Thanks for your input!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I supose it's possible to index the last section of the tailcone that way but the porblem is it would put the breather vent facing down.
    Here is the back of my 203. See the breather vent sticking up? That would have to be pointed down unless there is a 203 that was a little different for some reason.
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to CK5!
    Here is about everything I know about converted 203's <------- touch the little guy LOL

11. docgab

[ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the Board!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Thanks to all the others as well for their warm welcomes. Makes a guy feel at home. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, I'm not a smog tech (but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. I love those commercials!

[ QUOTE ]
    In 1975, I think Chevy started putting catalytic converters in all trucks below 6,000 pounds GVWR so you most likely will need a catalytic converter and possibly an EGR valve if it's not still there.I think that's all you will need ..... Anyone else got any idea's??

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that would be great if that's all I'll need. I'm gonna run it by a local smog shop that was recommended to me and see if I can get an inventory from them as to what's needed! Keeping my fingers crossed!! Thanks again for the input.

12. docgab

[ QUOTE ]

I supose it's possible to index the last section of the tailcone that way but the porblem is it would put the breather vent facing down.
    Here is the back of my 203. See the breather vent sticking up? That would have to be pointed down unless there is a 203 that was a little different for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the pic. I ran out and checked mine in comparison. The speedo cable comes off of the passenger side and I do see a tube coming off of the top that I am assuming is the breather vent. There is no vent off of the bottom. Very interesting!! I'll be taking pictures of all parts of the truck and putting up soon for all to see.

[ QUOTE ]

Welcome to CK5!
    Here is about everything I know about converted 203's <------- touch the little guy LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the great link. About the touching the little guy business, is that legal in this family group?? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. docgab

[ QUOTE ]

In 1975, I think Chevy started putting catalytic converters in all trucks below 6,000 pounds GVWR so you most likely will need a catalytic converter and possibly an EGR valve if it's not still there.

I think that's all you will need ..... Anyone else got any idea's??

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to say thanks again to all who replied and post what I learned about my smog goodies and what's required. It turns out that I need PCV, AIR injection, and mainly making sure I have the correct distributor, etc. No cats, no EGR. Good deal!! My K5 has a GVWR of 6,200 lbs. I guess this is why no cats? Thanks again all.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks for the update!! Too many posts slide into oblivion with no apparent 'ending'.

Rene