Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie, K5 Power Steering Q!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trout n eggs, Dec 11, 2003.

1. trout n eggs

trout n eggs Newbie

Just signed on to CK5, awesome - 'new' 1988 Diesel k5 is my project. I'm just starting restoration, new experience, hoping not to goof!

My garage Q = The power steering 'gear box', under the engine, near front left wheel: has busted a hole in the cylinder/housing's cap (?!?). Hope I have nomenclature correct, housing is where the steering wheel shaft terminates, and the fluid poured in from above settles. Hole is pin size, but during hard turns I spray fluid out the middle of this cap in a hard stream. Empty all fluid in 30 min of city driving. Rock hit it, or metal fatiqued, or something - I know not.

I've found a new cap, and have a 'seal service kit' from GM -> How can I get the old cap out? Specifically the near-solid steel ring that holds it in place? Tool or trick advice? I'm not long on tools. Don't want to damage the housing itself hacking with a screwdriver, and this ring has no compression notches or holes to fit a hand tool in, just 1/4 inch gap in the complete circle. I can see from the replacement kit it bears strength when in place. Hints and advice, anyone?? Any other cautions before attempting? Thnx /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

Can't help with your question, but welcome!

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like it would just be easier to replace it for all the trouble its worth.

NITRO

4. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I think you just use a screwdriver or whatever tool you can get in there & pop the retaining clip out & then put the new end cap on & pop the clip back in there.

I've never done it, but I was at a friends house when he sprung a leak in that cap piece. He just took it off another ps box & replaced it.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to CK5, Orange and your first post!Thats cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. trout n eggs

trout n eggs Newbie

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thank you's go out to CA, OH, IN and GA. I appreciate the welcomes, and advice. Had to ask - I'm not the lightest touch when I get the hands dirty. I'll go slow, I can destroy the ring (if it came to that) cause I've got a backup. She's all original stock, and a little crusty with grime. Gettin into the front end for a look took some big heaves.

I'm just gettin' into restoration, you'll hear more from me. There's winter trout fishin' to do. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif- WAM

7. trout n eggs

trout n eggs Newbie

K5 Power Steering Q, getting cap back in

Anyone? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif If I've threaded the message correctly you'll see the previous issue. I removed the cap on the forward end of the steering box this weekend. It took some de-rusting and luck with the edge of a screwdriver for the steel ring. Not pretty.

So I'm good that far. The fit for the replacement is so tight, & hard to tweek with my back in the dirt, that I'm having trouble getting this sucker to seat properly. Can't get the new ring in to its groove yet. I'm cautious hammering on it will get me back to a cracked aluminum cap, it only goes so far in by hand. Any suggestions? I was thinking a few hours in the freezer would help the cap fit better? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Thanks - Warren