Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie learns lessons -- the Hard Way

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Oct 23, 2000.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Well, as you all know, I recently got my K5 about 2 weeks ago. We've been getting a bunch of rain out here in central Texas lately and I decided to go for a mud blast.[​IMG]

So, my brother and I jump in the truck, which still had the 255/70/15's on it, and cruise on out into the woods.

They're doing some development work in my surrounding neighborhoods and we find a bulldozer trail and start cruising it. [​IMG]
    It comes up to a steep decline, nothing too bad, but when we hit the bottom, nothing but thick soupy mud![​IMG]
    I juice it and get out of the mud onto some hard ground, but now I gotta try and get back up the hill we just came down.
    This would normally be no big deal, but with the "mud pond" at the bottom, it's a whole-nother story. [​IMG]
    I floor it in 4-low --- as soon as I hit the mud my tires turn into slicks! There is now way I'm getting up this hill. [​IMG]
    I back up to get another running start and end up slide off against some bushes. Then while trying to work myself free, the right rear tire gets a sidewall puncture!! DOH! I'm screwed now. [​IMG]

Theres no way I can jack this thing up in this mud, It's about 18" of soup. Oh, and BTW, it was about 9:30pm now, so the sun is down.

To make an already long story a little shorter, we get back to my place around midnight VIA courtesy ride from Mr. Police Officer. I had to leave the truck there overnight.

The next day, I go back out there, find a Backhoe operator, and offer $20 to help me out. He walks down there and says "What are ya, crazy? My Backhoe wont get down here" so now I know I'm in trouble. [​IMG]

Well, me, my Brother, and Step-Father end up going back down there, changed the tire with a long 2x4 and a floor jack, shoveled out the tires and got it back onto dry land. Then we had to use hand held hedge-clippers to cut a new trail around the mud back up to the street. Whew - finally got out![​IMG]

So, lessons learned?

1) Don't go 4x4'ing in unknown territory alone
    2) Add hedge clippers to my survival pack
    3) Get real tires before you go mudding
    4) scout ahead when treding unknown trails
    - last but not least -
    5) when the sun starts going down, head home!!

Well, there ya go, my story.
    Everyone's got a story like this, right? So whats yours?

I took a few pics after I got it home:
    http://stoopalini.coloradok5.com/photo3.html

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://stoopalini.coloradok5.com/index.html

2. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Had a simular situation happen two weeks ago!!!hehehe...I got stuck in a lake bed with the nastiest gumbo and was stuck over night....froze my arse off!!!...it was a lesson i hopefully wont forget to soon!!! hehehe...looking back it was actually kind of fun!! hehehe

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Same thing only less mud, more rocks, and no cops. We went to a new place (I had another truck with me, another member of this board) and it was 4 steep rock hills in a row. The top of the last one was made of three boulders about the size of a car, so I went over them. I started to go down and it was so steep the person behind me didnt see me until I was halfway down. He came over the CB and asked me how I planned on getting back up. I just went to the bottom, turned around and tried to get back up. No luck. i got 90% of the way up, but at the top was all loose rocks and two steps about 12" high. The hill was so steep and the rocks were real loose, so I couldnt get over the steps. I got out and walked in the other direction and found a way out (sorta [​IMG]). We ended up going that way and it was hard as hell (it took us an hour and 15 minutes to go 2 miles)! All big rocks and more hills! I was in 4lo the entire time and I had to walk out and pick my line up every hill. I had stock (dying [​IMG]) axles with open diffs [​IMG] with 3.07s [​IMG], and bald 33" ATs [​IMG] (all thats in my back yard now [​IMG] [​IMG] ). If I wasnt so concerned about finding a way out, I probably would have had a blast. I got the 3/4 ton axles in (d44 front, 14ff rear with posi, both with 4.10s) and I got a set of 36" Swamper radials. I only have a few more small things left to do and its done. I'm going to go back with a group of locals who really know the place good (they're who I found out about this place from) so I will have a much better time since they know which trails go where and which ones are passable. </font color=blue>

4. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

Hey we are in Austin too, Next time you go let us know then you won't be alone! No need to get stuck by yourself. Besides, we are up for 4x4ing...just let this darn rain die off for a little bit...the whole place is turning into a swamp! BTW, where were you at? We are up in RoundRock, and have a bunch of mud up this way.

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com
    http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

5. Stoopalini

oh yea? I work in RR (you can guess where) [​IMG]

I was up in leander. You know where Bagdad road meets Crystal Falls? Well, right in thet neighborhood. I'de be more than happy to show it to you.

What are you doin tonight?

Tom

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

6. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Hey Stoop..
    Another Austin area K5'er.. Gotta love it.
    I guess you work at Dell? I used to.. I did 5 years there.. Now I've moved onward and upward.
    So.. maybe all of us (Phyte, Sosa, Blazerguy and us) and get a local Blazer club going. And do some 4 wheeling.. I know Phyte has been dying to christen his new Blazer..
    My numbers are on my profile.. give us a holler.
    Talk to you later..
    Charles aka Rocko

It's better to have it than to need it, than to need it and not have it !!!!

7. Stoopalini

Yep, you got it. 3 years and counting.

I think a Blazer club would be awesome! I'll definitely give you a call. We should all get together this weekend. I'll open up a new POST about it and we'll see who's up for it.

BTW: Is that an '83 red K5 on your site? It looks just like my '84 [​IMG]

Thomas

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

8. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

One suggestion: Skip the hedge trimmers and go for the machette! Much more manly when cutting thru the jungle!

You can't beat going Topless!

9. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Hey Stoopalini, you are a good story teller. I was LOL cuz it reminded me of the time I took my neighbors four-wheelin in my '74 Blazer, and got stuck in the mud at a construction project. I too, was off-roading alone. What saved my a$$ was my CB radio. I sent out a call for help and to my amazement, I got a response immediately and a couple of guys showed up 20 minutes later with a 4x4 and a long chain to pull me out. I didn't even care that it was a Ford F-250. To show my appreciation for the help, I bought Pizza and Beer at the local hangout.
    So, I recommend having a CB Radio and enough cash for Pizza & Beer.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Just remember, "4 Wheel dirve allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessable place."

11. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

My Damn C.B. didnt do a damn bit of good when I got stuck!!!...made me wonder........Channel 9 was no use either...BTW who's listening to channel 9 anyway? Highway Patrol? Sheriff....??? If it had been a real emergency it would have sucked!!!

12. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

A picture (actually two pictures[​IMG]) says more than a thousand words.[​IMG] This is what a good day in Sweden looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG].

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

13. Stoopalini

damn! your truck looks like mine did ..... LOL just without the white stuff

Looks like that tree lost the fight with your bumper, huh? hehehe ... I'll bet you were glad those other trucks were there -- did they pull you out?

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

14. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I got pulled out by another Blazer (with 35" tires) not shown in the pic. I thought the 44" Gumbos would give really low groundpreassure and "float", guess not[​IMG]. It all worked out good though. Nowdays I´ve gotten rid of those 44" Gumbos and I´m building a good engine with some of that cash. Will go with 38.5" tires later on....and stay away from swamps covered with snow[​IMG]

Btw, this area we used to go and get stuck in[​IMG] is an old army firing area. Those trees had millions of bullet and shrapnel holes in them. Just like to point that out, so nobody thinks we were doing damage to someones land.

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

15. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

That sounds kind of like my trip last weekend. It took us 3 hours to move 4 vehicles 100 yards, and that's after 2 of them used a bypass we had to make around a mud hole. It really sucks to find a huge boulder in the middle of a mud pit the "hard way". It caved in an A-arm on a Hummer before we decided to go around it. We had a blast though. We were only 10 minutes away from a couple rescue trucks (my friends other 2 Hummers) so we didn't care if we got too stuck.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

16. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

17. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I got one word for you guys-WINCH. Cool stories though, it's happened to all of us at least once.

18. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

that post was 5 months old . . . haha!

[​IMG]

19. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I thought it sounded familiar! You are a SlyDog.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

20. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

That I am [​IMG]

[​IMG]