Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie Lift/Project questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thekiffer, May 22, 2006.

1. thekiffer

thekiffer Registered Member

Ok, Newbie with lots of questions.... I did several searches and I have come acrossed some interesting threads but there are still a few things I guess I am not getting.

My plan is to put a 3/4 ton d44 front with a sf 14 bolt rear Under my 88 Blazer Daily Driver. I know the advantages and disadvantages of the axles but that is what I can afford. Plan is 35's on it that I already have ready. I just need to put together the lift...this is where I am not clear. I would like a total of 4-5" of lift with 3-4 being suspension and then a 1" body lift.

I think I want to put the lift in first before I do the axles. I have to do this in stages because of the money. Can I just bolt these on worry about lift later? I know about the drive shaft u-joint yoke for the 14 bolt but is there anything else?

Also, my understanding is that if I do a 56" leaf up front I will immediately have to change drive shaft lengths and move to a crossover steering setup. Is that true? Do I have to have special shackles for this and if so which ones?I am trying to avoid too much lift.

What all do I need to do the rear 56" leaf? Can you run these without the shackle flip or not?

I know 4:88's and Detroits are in my future but I am hoping to migrate into some of these things. I have a good set of 31 BFG MT's that will stay on the truck until I can get the axles set up the way I want and the lift on but I would like to make a plan to do a few projects at a time. I know for sure it is time for new leafs because the rear ones are cracked in half and the front ones are sagging something fierce.

Is everyone just tossing thier sway bars front and rear?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  2. thekiffer

Please help:bow:

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Use the search button. You have asked a bunch of questions, all of which have been covered many times recently. When you narrow the questions down a little, people will be much more willing to help out.

As to the lift, 4" springs and a shackle flip with new stock springs is the way that I would go. I would not get involved in a 56" swap right out of the box on a DD. Many people ditch the sway bar, I use disconnects because I like it on the road.

Save the gear swap until you move up in tire size.

4. thekiffer

Thanks, I have tried the search and have ended up hitting the same couple of 52"/56" threads and I don't fully understand them along with a thousand less aplicable threads. I personally think a basic Newbie lift, Engine Tech, and general common probs sticky would be super helpful.

As far as the gears go I will be setting up the axles out of the truck and building them as I can afford if possible. Meanwhile I would like to get some lift. As stated before the 35's are already purchased. They are on my garage floor but I am not going to switch to them tell I can afford to regear the 3/4 ton axles.

Who makes the disco's for Blazers? Why would you stay away from the spring swap? Anyone else with an opinion?

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have not done the 56" swap, but it looks like a PITA because of small issues and it does not appear to be the best route for a DD. Check www.offroaddesign.com for the discos and springs. Also look at www.DIY4x.com for shackle flip and other parts.

6. thekiffer

Is the 56" in the rear the same deal? Grind off the shackle and then move the unit and redrill? Do you have to buy the shackle flip? Can you just hang the leafs and then do the flip later?

7. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

currently i have all half ton stuff on my blazer. However if everything goes well this weekend i will swap in my dana 44 3/4 ton and 14BFF 3/4 ton. I also run 35" tall tires and run 4.10 gears. I am really happy with this setup. I also use the superlift 6" suspention. I also have 4.10 gears in my 1/2 ton stuff.

Here is a picture with 1/2 ton axles and 6" lift. With 35" BFG's

[​IMG]

8. thekiffer

One thing I know from experience on my Jeep is that 35's and a 14 bolt are not ideal together do to clearance. Are you putting in the SF or the full one ton? Are you locked? How dose just your half ton setup hold up to 35's?

9. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

i have no issues. Also no trimming was needed. Infact my 14b FF is 3/4 ton which is a direct bolt in for the k5's. Also i may go with 37" tires soon. So for that i trimmed very little. However i like the 35" with the 4.10s. Gas milage is ok. i get about 13-15 mpg and i run a 350 carbed., th350 and np205 setup.

10. thekiffer

Anyone else want to weigh in on this? Please??:crazy:

11. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Duder...lots of questions...here's what you want to do...
    1) Do the lift first. You want 4" of lift so, shackle flip it in the back with your stock springs and get 4' sprign sint he front. Forget about the 56" swap for your daily driver.

2) Get yuour axles ASAP or you runt he risk of having to do your driveshafts twice.

3) I wouldn't dare speak for all of CK5, but I can feel pretty confident saying that I did not ditch my rear sway bar...in fact, to my knowledge my only vehicle with a rear sway bar is my 99 baby blazer...

12. thekiffer

I am rethinking swapping out my front axle. I think I can go with an eight lug swap and from the sounds of it avoid a lot of hassle with a front axle with very little benefit. I was curious about the additional strength of alloy's in both the front and the rear. This truck won't see larger than 35's I have a Jeep with 1 tons with 40's for my big tires. So, I figure alloys and stock axles would be good enough for moderate to difficult wheeling!???

I have to buy rear springs, junkyard or not cause mine are cracked in half.

I haven't looked closely. The rear has no sway bar?

13. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

Just my humble info.

I as well as many others have done this swap, mine was on an 83. First off yes the axles will bolt in with no mods under a half ton. As far as I know the 52" front spring swap is much easier than the 56" front swap. This is the part of your questions I have not done yet but have done extensive searching. The front spring hanger will have to relocated to the front of the body mount and the rear shackle will at a minimum have to be lengthened. This should net about 2" of forward movement of the axle and gain approx. 4" of lift depending on the condition of the springs you use. For the rear your best option would be a shackle flip such as the ones from www.diy4x.com.

You will be fine running 35's on the Dana 44 unless you have a really heavy foot which I imagine you will be avoiding being this is a DD. 4.88 Do seem a bit low for 35's but my guess is you have the 700r4 so that should rememdy that problem.

If I am correct in thinking the front 52" swap will move the axle 2" forward you will need driveshaft correction. On the rear you should be fine. Don't forget about extended brake lines also as well as rerouting you e-brake cable. Extended brake line can be done less expensively by using a piece of hard line to make up the now lack of distance.

Crossover steering is something I have not done with the Chevy's either. With the forward movement of the axle I would imagine it is going to be a necessity given the push/pull type of steering setup G.M. used. I sure you have searched on crossover parts and come up with a million and one threads so I will not go into that.

I would look on this board (classified section) for some stock springs if I were you because as you state you will be doing this as time and money allows. Much like the rest of us there is the necessities in life that take priority over our toys and hobbies. You stated you have severly saggy front spring and cracked rear springs on a DD. This combo is only a matter of time before it results in Sever Injury or Death to you or someone else on the road depending on when if gives, who you hit, or who hits you. Hopefully if anything does happen it will be on the trail and will just result in some walking. Let me tell you, that can make you think of what really needs to be done to your truck for the moment. An hour or so of walking to get a tow vehicle and or trailer is serious meditation time.

As stated in other posts these topics have been mentioned, so try narrowing your search requirements and you may find more of what you are looking for. I have been there also, asking lots of questions, not knowing what exactly to look for. The best advice I can give is spend hours searching, educate yourself by searching multiple websites, and soon you will no longer be a noob.

Good luck in your build.:)

14. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

As long as both your front axles are Dana 44's you should be good.

15. thekiffer

I have the 10 bolt front and rear. I understand that this is a 28 spline axle. Which I think I would like to just put alloys in and call it good. I also know that I can add 44 outers and knuckles for the stearing setup.

As far as safety. It isn't my daily driver yet. It will be and trust me leafs are my top priority!! I have a pick and pull close to me so that is why I keep asking about the 52/56" swap, but even though the leafs are cheap it is all the other parts that aren't...give and takes, Sounds like it is an all or nothing situation.

When I go larger do I have to do a CV style drive shaft front and rear or can I just go to the local shop and lenthgthen my factory shafts?

How does this all work with the 208. I understand there are no slip yoke eliminators. So, what do you do then?

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

some More Examples At #2 Stickey In "garage"