Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie needs advice...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 8, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

OKay, here's the deal...I am looking to buy a 1987 Blazer here in town. I really don't know much about Blazers so I will tell you all what I saw an let me know if you think is sounds good.

It's a 1987 Blazer with the 350 TBI, Auto tranny, Silverado package, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" tires on centerline wheels. The truck has been in Colorado its whole life so there is not much rust. I was only able to find rust on the rockers just below ad to the rear of both the passenger and drivers side doors. Everything works fine, runs smooth. There is no rust on the frame that I could see. Steering feels tight. So what do you all think...tell me what else I should look at. Thanks for your time fellas.
    Later,
    Chris Marshall

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Look for cracks around the sterring box. I look at all the fluids a such are the u-joints alright? I'm sure theres more but I'm haveing a brain fart. sorry

Eric

<a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/>http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/</a>
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

well, if you do not have a GM product now, you had better buy it [​IMG]
    FI is the hot set-up. it is already lifted so that is a plus. check the frame around the steering box for cracks, look REAAAALLLLYYY good, some are tiny. oh, after you buy it i will be nice enuff to send you out my q-jet for your tbi set up[​IMG] i will even throw in some extra vacuum hose and a broken 203 [​IMG]

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, make sure you take a look at the frame around the steering box! If you can, have someone crank the steering wheel back and forth to the stops while you watch the box, if it moves you might have a cracked frame (very common on these). Also, make sure you do all the obvious things: put it in 4WD and make sure everything works there; if it has the auto hubs make sure you don't hear any "clicking" coming from there; you said that it has little rust, but you might also peek under the carpet inside along the door sills and also behind the seats if you can; check vent windows (mine was broke when I bought it, didn't even know til the first time I tried it!); just make sure you check all fluids, make sure he has kept good care of servicing, etc...

I'm sure others can also pitch in ideas...

5. fortcollinsram

Thanks for the advice guys. Any more would be greatly appreciated. I am going to look at it again on Monday and having my mechanic take a look at it on Tuesday. If all checks out, I have a my first GM truck (My first car was a 1986 Pontiac 6000 STE :) That bad bod got me through high school than ate crap) Thanks again fellas

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Look inside the rear wheel wells so you can see the back footwell. Those usually always rot, along with the subframe. Also crawl under the back and look at that big bar of sheet metal that supports the bed and the tailgate bolts too, called the tailpan. Those spots like to rust on all of them so you could point those off and possibly knock off a few dollars, sounds like a good K5 so far.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

7. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

Is it the white one off of Shields right before up hit Mulberry??

8. fortcollinsram

no, the dude works here on campus and is selling it for his son. It is usaully parked during rthe day down on Prospect like 10 feet west of the railroad tracks on the north side of Prospect. I am going to get it on Thursday if all my money comes in as planned. This one has a 4" lift, 33's, Its dark (Really dark) blue. Pretty nice looking. It doesn't have a for sale sign in it now. But we will see...

I am about to purchase (i.e. this week [​IMG], 11/13/2001)a 1987 K5. I am so excited. I has a 4" lift, 33's, Flowmaster

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

How much is he asking?

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

10. fortcollinsram

He's asking 5500...I am having a frined look at it on Wednesday (he's a mechanic) b/c I am not 100% confident in my diagnosis of problems. From what i can tell it only needs new tires and a new tailgate handle. Speaking of the tailgate handle, where could I pick something like that up online?

I am about to purchase (i.e. this week [​IMG], 11/13/2001)a 1987 K5. I am so excited. I has a 4" lift, 33's, Flowmaster

11. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Let us know what your frined finds out ! Just make sure you can trust your frined. If it turns out to be a lemon, it may ruin your frinedship. :p

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

12. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.lmctruck.com>LMC Truck</a> has tailgate handles and just about everything else.

A word about auto hubs, if it has them: Mine were "clicking" when I bought my Sub. I ditched those nasty things and put in a set of SuperWinch manuals. Best $60 and 15 minutes of my time I ever invested. Even if they're good, I'd change them anyway. Just a thought...

Good luck with the truck!

The learning curve is a toll road...ride with someone who has already paid!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/abshort1>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

13. fortcollinsram

Actually the guy I am buying it from has already put in Warn manual locking hubs... So I think I am rearing to go in that department [​IMG]

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I hope everything checks out and you get the truck. We can always use another piece of good old GM iron on campus. Sounds like a good truck. Also check the front bumper supports and radiator supports and see if they look newer then the rest of the truck. If so then its probably been wrecked. Also, like mentioned before make sure the 4 wheel drive is working properly. Thats about it.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.