Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie Needs Direction - Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DviousDave, Mar 18, 2002.

1. DviousDave

DviousDave Newbie

I am currently looking to purchase a Blazer that has not been messed with yet (i.e. lifted, etc.). Future plans after purchase would be a lift, 35in/38in tires, new/rebuilt motor & transmission, etc..... I guess I would be doing exactly the same thing every other Blazer owner would be doing.

My question is what should I start on first. I plan on buying a Blazer that has no engine and/or transmission because the cost of purchasing it would be cheaper and I want to put a new/rebuilt engine and transmission in it anyways. I plan on using it mainly for towing purposes and occassionaly light off-roading. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Obviously engine and tranny are first. Get a good engine, and the strongest tranny and transfer case you can afford. Next is debateable. Either lift and tires, or heavy duty axles. If you plan on 38" tires or larger then don't waste your time with the stock axles and go 1 ton. Take it in steps, unless you have lots of $.

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

What you should start off first is finding a blazer with MINIMAL rust- it doesnt matter what you find for an engine/tranny to put into her... is she's weak at the seams, your going to spend tons of time, and $$ getting it back to "normal"... I lucked out with mine, the floors had already been redone, and it came with Brand Spankin new GM replacement doors, front fenders, and inners... already primed, and seam sealed... however I also looked at probably close to 20 before I found this one. some of the other's had stronger motors (my 305 is VERY tired)... but the body was shot..neither John nor myself are body "people" however we can build an engine... which is why i went for a solid body over a solid engine/drivetrain.

This one was already lifted. I knew I wanted a 4" suspension, and a 3" body- this had it.. had the suspension lift been different, I might not have.

if you fill out your profile, we can tell where you live etc.. which may mean- if you live in Arizona for instance, that my post about rust was meaningless... but anyway- I'd check the body out good!

good luck
    Brandy

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Very true on the rust thing. I am from AZ so I don't worry about rust. Thats why I didn't put it in my post. I never think about it so I forget to post, even though it affects alot of people.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

DVIOUS,

Just out of curiousity, why do you want an "unmolested" vehicle when your plans are to modify everything once you get it? I can certainly understand if it's to avoid "cheesy workmanship".....but a lot of the basic stuff like suspension lifts, and axle swaps don't really leave much room for "creativity".....just bolt-em on and GO!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

There is a method to my madness (and questions).....as most of us know, if you buy a vehicle that someone ELSE has already dumped a bunch of money into, you typically only pay about fifty-cents on the dollar for the modifications. It's a lot cheaper to let someone else pay full-price for everything.....!!

Just a thought. You might get lucky and find a K5 that was thoughtfully modified with some of the same things you wanted. Could save you a lot of time and $$$. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. DviousDave

DviousDave Newbie

To answer your question about my location: Los Angeles, CA.

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

The deals I see from the guys in Cali make me wish I lived there. People practically give stuff away. Some advice for ya find something that is old enough to bypass emissions and then throw in whatever the hell you want to.