Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie needs help with NP205

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 96chevy, Sep 1, 2003.

1. 96chevy

96chevy Registered Member

I have a '80K5 w/ an automatic TH350 and a NP205. I went out to check the fluid level and when I undid the top plug on the tfer case tranny fluid came pooring out, about 2/3 quart. I thought that 205's used gear oil. And does the tfer case have to be warmed up before you can check the fluid?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> In an 80 there should be gear oil in it, but in later years they switched to tranny fluid or motor oil, if memory serves. I'd put gear oil back into it, but it will probably be fine. The thing would probably live if you put vegetable oil in it, they are pretty durable units and seem to be tolerant of just about any kind of lube. </font>

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Maybe the tranny is leaking out the back filling the t-case ,sounds like it was way overfull.

4. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem with my truck. I have a different drive train, but I think the setup is similar (I have a 700R4 and 208 TCase). I found that the seals on the input shaft on the TCase went out and I had to drop the case and replace the seals.

5. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

when i was running a 350/205 combo it would do that once a year. the adapter was cracked on top &amp; it would not let the adapter sleeve ride on the seals correctly. the tranny would dump its fluid into the 205

6. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Yea i would say a bad seal. By the way transfer cases with gear drive get gear oil. Chain driven cases get ATF.

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yea i would say a bad seal. By the way transfer cases with gear drive get gear oil. Chain driven cases get ATF.

[/ QUOTE ]

203's get 10w30

8. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

sorry, didnt think about that. let me rephrase, chain drives get light weight oil, gear drives get gear fluid. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif