Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie needs help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89njK5, Mar 29, 2001.

1. 89njK5

89njK5 Registered Member

I just bought a 89 k5 blazer for $200.00 w/ 69,000 miles (legit). I work for a stealership and we deal in municiple vehicles. The blazer came from a state park as a trade in. I want to use it mainly for a winter truck. Problems are: alot of body rust, the 4wd doesn't work, bangs when shifting from park into drive and it idles high.

Where the paint is blistering and rust is showing what can I do to stop it?
    Sand it and then use primer over it?

When the auto tranny bangs into gear, mainly rough shifting, it's worst when I go into reverse.
    Could it be the fluild? Dying tranny? Low grease/fluid in the rear?

High Idle
    The truck idles pretty high for about the 1st half hour then leves out to normal. But when I shut it off after and hour of letting it run in one spot and I shut it off it putts after I take the key out. When I checked the air filter/box I smelled a strong sent of gasoline and the little foam filter on the side of the air box (I think it's where the pcv valve enters) was black and reeked of gasoline. I took it out and clened the air box and it still idles high. Should I try some carb cleaner? Any other ideas on cleaning it up?

I plan to tackleing the following this weekend: New plugs, wires, distruibutor, PCV valve, flush radiator, Attack the rust!

Are there any other tips on cleaning up the truck?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions but i'm a newbie and want to start on gettting this truck back into shape! Thanks in advance for the help!

Where did all this rust come from?

2. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

the abnging noise in to gear sounds liek the the rear or a u joint in the rear drive line being a expert in blown auto trannys ( i blow them a lot ) i dont think it is your tranny but in the past i have been wrong (once)

Bandit
    (Your right i dont understand the jeepthing)

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Whatever you spend on it will be worth it!! 200 BUCKS???? Jeez! If you sink 3 grand in it to get it up to speed, then you have the bare minimun of what most of us have in an initial rig. Have fun!

behemoth K5

4. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Good deal! $200 for a whole truck? I'm about to spend $200 for an 84 K5 with no motor or tranny! As for that high idle problem, adjust the idle speed and that should fix the high idle and dieseling problem you have.

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>
    My truck beat up your SUV

5. doonjumper

doonjumper 1/2 ton status

High idle may possibly be egr valve. I'm not sure if that has one but if it does take it off and see if it is stuck.

6. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

200 bucks?!!!!!!!!!!!!! hot DAM...man I just spent twice that in seals and repair panels for my truck...you got one hell of a deal my friend...my originaly cost 4,800 lol...but then there was no rust and it was cherrie!

"Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me"
    ---------------
    "A closed mouth gathers no foot."

7. 89njK5

89njK5 Registered Member

yeah it was a good deal! It's a Whole truck and it runs. The milage checks out too! I just sprayed a ton of carb cleaner in the carb and it helped clear up the idle and put when I shut it off. It's purring like the beast it is. I replaced the PCV valve and that helped too I'm sure. I just bought some new plugs a load of bondo, wires, and some Gunk brand transfusion (supposidly seals any leaks in the tranny ect!). Thanks again for the help I'll be back w/ alot of questions.

Where did all this rust come from?

8. slider79blazer

slider79blazer 1/2 ton status

$200 bucks great deal.for the clanking noise I would check
    all the u-joints. for the gas smell go to your local recycling
    yard (junk yard) and get a charcoal canister out of another
    chevy car or truck that looks like yours.in the front behind the
    headlight on the drivers side.the rust a sawsall is a good thing
    if it's down low.