Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 96chevy, Mar 11, 2003.

1. 96chevy

96chevy Registered Member

i was just wondering how in the heck do you get the factory radio out? I don't want to cut the dash because I'm looking at the replacement from LMC. I know this is a dumb question, but I really need the help.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

On most newer vechiles the trim just snaps in place. Try prying up gently with a small screw driver. Ones that's off, you'll see the bolts holding the radio in place.

3. 96chevy

96chevy Registered Member

I guess I should have explained myself better. The Blazer is a 1980 model, not the newer ones. I removed the instrument panel cover, dash pad, and the bolts on the front of the radio. My problem is where do you pull it out from? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

On my old 76, after you remove the nuts on the shafts, push it back and pull it out from under the dash, may or may not have strap/bracket on back, so you'll need to get up under there with a flash light. To install mordern stereo in factory location, hole in dash must be cut.

5. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Z3Pr covered it pretty good. Pull the instrument trim cover from the guages and the nuts from the shafts that are underneath the knobs. The rear strap bolt of the radio if it's used and one important piece on those shaft radios is the air vent tube that runs over to the driver side air vent by the door. There is one screw in the metal dash below the steering column for it.When undone, pull it to the left to unhook it from the air distribution box and then to the right and down. That will allow you to pull the radio out from behind the dash.

6. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i was just wondering how in the heck do you get the factory radio out? I don't want to cut the dash because I'm looking at the replacement from LMC. I know this is a dumb question, but I really need the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless your goal is to keep the truck original you may want to consider finding a reputable custom shop that will cut the dash so you can install a DIN unit. Sticking with shaft limits the amount of quality headunits you can get. You could alternatively mount it somewhere else, like in the center console. Personally I'm gonna have a local shop just cut the dash. If the installer is competent you won't be able to tell it's not factory. Finding a competent installer is the only hurdle to leap /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif