Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newbie needs some guidance

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by l_niemetz, Oct 25, 2003.

1. l_niemetz

l_niemetz Registered Member

hello everyone, im a newbie here with a newbie question. i have a 77 k5 sitting in my driveway with the whole rear of the body off. i need to replace pretty much from the cab back, and the floor boards. for sale near me is a late 80's k5 with all the body parts i would need. here is my question, would the 80s bed and rear quarters, and most importantly the 77 cap all fit together? and bolt on? i can drill holes to mount to the frame etc. but i really need to know if my 77 cap will fit on the late 80s bed. i can get the exact year on monday, ill post if that would help. but like i said its about 85 or younger (i cant remember what the dude told me when i talked to him a couple weeks ago) the 80s and 77 caps look the same, and if the style of body (like the rear 80s and front 77 quarter panels) look different or dont match up its ok because i have all the original front. one more thing, would the 80s grill fit in the old 77s spot? or would modification for hanging older body panels be necessary? thanks for reading this drawn out post, and any help thats provided.

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The tops are the same. The beds in the area of the footwell for the rear seat will be different between your and his. Grills will interchange between 73-80, and between 81-91. Unless you swap front clips.

3. l_niemetz

hey thanks for the speedy relpy. sounds pretty good. like i said the 77 front quarters i have are rust free. how much is the difference in the way the 80s style bed will mount to the 77 cab? i could just replace the 77 cab with the 80s style very easily if the 77 windshield will fit the 80s cab.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The problem is the frame is also different to account for the footwell behind the front seats on the 80's truck. I went the other way and swapped the rear half of a 73 Blazer and spliced it to the front half of my 81 Jimmy. Mostly it's a bad plan, tons of work and hard to do right. If the 73 donor I had found had a good front end I would have swapped the entire body.

I had to build custom body mounts in the number 3 position (footwell area)

As soon as I get my truck caged the half cab part is coming off and I'll run a full convertable soft top.

I'll find a link to my pictures and post it in a few minutes.

Body splice>>>> http://community.webshots.com/album/56289905xFbwfK/0

Rene

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ditch the '77 and use the 80's Blazer instead. Mucho less time and hassle to try to fit one to the other. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. l_niemetz

hey, thanks for the imput everyone. now that i think about it, i will most likely swap the axles, suspension and tires off the 77: 12 bolt rear, 10 bolt front, new leafs and shocks, 33 inch goodyear tires, with the 10 bolt rear and stock suspension of the 80 and go with that body. i have the 77 cap which should fit... so ill be good to go! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif thanks again guys.