Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newbie needs steering help...can't steer with lockers.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ugly, Aug 12, 2004.

1. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

newbie needs steering help...can\'t steer with lockers.

I just scored a 72 blazer that has been "built" by the previous owner.

When it is in 4x4, it will not steer. It has detriot lockers front and rear. The steering wheel will turn to the right and left, but the vehicle does not turn. Any help would be great.

It steers fine when in two wheel drive, or 4x4 if the front hubs are not locked.

There is alot of great info on this site. I just read a cool post about swaping 3/4 ton brake booster for the cheasy 1/2 that doesnt stop the truck. Thanks! I'm going to give it a try.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: newbie needs steering help...can\'t steer with lockers.

as from what i have been told, the detroit only locks when there is input power to the axle. if this is correct, then you should be able to turn when you let off the gas. the locker is the reason for your problem.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

You should be able to steer if your power steering is doing it's job. I'd check into that before anything else. If you're trying to steer it on dry pavement it will be pretty hard to turn even if the PS is working, but not impossible by any means.

Hydro assist will allow you to steer with one finger in any situation.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If everything is ok with your PS system then I would look into crossover steering. It will help out your problem a fair amount, and if you add hydro assist to crossover steering shouldn't be problem anymore.

I will tell you from my experience that crossover is a MAJOR help to being able to steer (especially offroad) with lockers front and rear. My top 3 mods are

Dual lockers
    Crossover Steering
    Tuned Port Fuel Injection

In that order. Crossover steering really made life with 2 lockers alot more manageable and fun offroad.

Harley

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

D'oh! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Everyone has crossover these days so I didn't even think about it. Turning while sitting still and not crossed up isn't any easier with the crossover though, so I think maybe more info is needed on when and where the steering is difficult.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it is a locker? not a weld and sell front end? Can it turn in 2WD with the hubs locked. If not the locker isn't working like it should.

7. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the insight! I will be out playing in Brekenridge, CO this weekend and will try to get better identification of the problem.

It turns well on pavement, when the motor is running. It turns well on dirt, just not in 4x4.

8. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

I have not tried to turn with the hubs locked and 2x4. I will check it out.

The 4x4 shop just did service on the diffs, and they said detroit lockers front and rear? who knows though?

9. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

I had it out over the weekend and steering was still bad in 2x4 with front hubs locked. I did not try that combo on pavement- wouldn't that be BAD for Tcase, and Diffs?

big83chevy4x4: input power or no input power with front hubs locked was the same- did not turn. (the steering wheel and tires turn but the vehicle goes straight.

Based on AZ- k5's post: sounds like the locker is faulty?

Other Ideas?

Thanks in advance

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Welcome to the world of lockers and stock front steering. My Powerlock caused the same problems. The only cure is crossover and hydro assist or remove the locker. That is one of the reasons an ARB air locker is so popular for front axles. You can lock it only when you need it to get out of a jam.

11. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

i don't think steering assist will help him, he's saying that the tire's WILL turn but the vehicle still goes straight
    You should expect that to happen when under power, in 4wd, while on a slippery surface, it's a drawback of having good traction without forking out the cash for a selectable locker
    HOWEVER if it also does it on a fairly tractive surface in 2wd with just the hub's locked in, then you either have a screwed up locker or a welded front end/spool because a properly operating locker will ratchet and allow the two axle shaft's to spin at different speed's only when power is NOT being applied to it through the pinion gear or the surface your on has enough traction to make one tire spin FASTER then the one that's being driven (usally this occurs to the tire, thats on the outside of the turn, on pavement)

Time to get out the 1/2" socket and pull the cover off /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Lockers take a bit of force to "Break" loose. If its on the front and in the dirt, it will want to keep going forward. Try one in the snow sometime. You can always wheel with only ONE hub locked. You should be able to turn fine in that condition and lock the other hub when you really need 4 wheel full traction

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i don't think steering assist will help him, he's saying that the tire's WILL turn but the vehicle still goes straight
    You should expect that to happen when under power, in 4wd, while on a slippery surface, it's a drawback of having good traction without forking out the cash for a selectable locker
    HOWEVER if it also does it on a fairly tractive surface in 2wd with just the hub's locked in, then you either have a screwed up locker or a welded front end/spool because a properly operating locker will ratchet and allow the two axle shaft's to spin at different speed's only when power is NOT being applied to it through the pinion gear or the surface your on has enough traction to make one tire spin FASTER then the one that's being driven (usally this occurs to the tire, thats on the outside of the turn, on pavement)

Time to get out the 1/2" socket and pull the cover off /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely agree. The original poster stated several times that the front tires WERE turning from side to side, so all of the crossover and hydro assist in the world are not going to help the situation.

A Detroit or Lock-right front diff should be unlocked when the t-case is in 2wd whether or not the front hubs are locked. The fact that he has the issue when in 2wd with the hubs locked definitely makes me think the front locker is not properly functioning, or is a welded diff or spool.

14. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Thanks alot for the input. I will be taking the cover off to check it out. I may end up putting in a selectable locker.

Are the selectable diffs posi or open or other when not locked?

Does any one have comments about only locking 1 hub until the terain requires both hubs locked?

It's ugly... but mean.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Selectable lockers are open when unlocked and a spool when locked.

I have a comment reguarding locking one hub...be prepared to break axleshafts.

16. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I have a comment reguarding locking one hub...be prepared to break axleshafts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this because one axel shaft will be pulling the entire weight of the front end?I don't mean to sound ignent, I just want to understand.

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

17. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

sounds like a good time to twin stick the NP 205. I will also have a spool up front when I finish my axle swap. I have the twin stick done and plan on doing the one hub locked when needed or both when really needed.

18. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    sounds like a good time to twin stick the NP 205. I will also have a spool up front when I finish my axle swap. I have the twin stick done and plan on doing the one hub locked when needed or both when really needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is a twin stick. Does it lock the front separate from the rear? I don't get it.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is a twin stick. Does it lock the front separate from the rear? I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Twin stick will allow you to put the front axle in neutral so that you can steer when you're on a hard surface in 4wd.

It also will allow you to put the front axle in low and the rear in neutral so you can use the front axle by itself to pull you around.