Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie owner with questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gothamist, Dec 21, 2006.

1. gothamist

gothamist Registered Member

So as of today I am the proud new owner of a 1975 K10 w/ a rebuilt 350/TH350/NP203. It's a little bit rough but the fundamentals are all there.

Anyway, I have a few questions for the gurus of the board:

1) There is no front driveshaft, and the previous owner wasn't the one to remove it, which means it's been running for at least the past 7 years and 100K miles without one. From what I understand of the NP203, this probably means the transfer case needs overhauling. I don't hear any banging sounds or notice too much slop in the drivetrain, but I'd like to know what the recommended procedure is here--do I just overhaul the transfer case? Is there an easy kit w/ the bushings/bearings/gaskets I can use? (As I said, I'm new to this, so if there's a FAQ that would answer this, please point me in that direction.)

2) The transmission is leaking a bit. How hard is it to overhaul a TH350? Bear in mind I've never done it before, but I'd rather go slow and do it right if it will make a difference down the line. If it'd be better to just replace the gasket, so goes it.

I think that's it, but if there are any other general words of wisdom you'd like to pass on, I'd appreciate it. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to wheel this truck (I used to wheel quite a bit on the East Coast but haven't done it since moving to SoCal.) For now I'd just like to get the truck working well first.

Thanks in advance, and again, if there's some FAQ somewhere that answers all these questions, please just point me to it.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I'm sure your t-case has been run in Hi-Loc or else you couldn't drive anywhere. It should be fine.

3. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

The tcase should be fine I'm guessing. But while your at it I'd recommend putting a partime kit in it assuming your gonna put the driveshaft back in