Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie post: some K5 Q's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sidepipes, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Newbie post: some K5 Q\'s

Hi guys, I don't have a K5 yet but am looking for one.

I looked at a 79 today- Fulltime 4wd auto with a V-8.... My first question is: does anybody have any RPO codes so I can find out which V-8 it is( the engine is covered in grease/oil/muck)

Secondly, I am not big into the fulltime 4wd. I searched some posts and it was said you can modify the truck to become partime 4wd. What do I need to do to do this( obviously buy some locking hubs) but are they direct bolt on? and what do I need to do to the transfer case?

I don't think this is the right K5 for me but incase I run into another, I'd like to know what I a up against.

Thirdly, I live inthe rust belt so where are the typical problem spots for rust on these vehicles. The one I looked at today was bubbled in a vertical line below the doors, on both sides and on the interior drivers side kick panel. Is this typical? Also the inner rear fenders where in too good of shape.
    Thanks for the help.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Re: Newbie post: some K5 Q\'s

The 3rd digit in the vin will tell ya, providing the engine has not been swapped out.
    U=305
    L=350
    R=400
    Do a search on 203's and I am certain that you will find more info than ya want.
    fenders,rockers and rear wheel openenings are bad rust magnets.
    If you can pull up some carpet I would look at the floorboards real close.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

fender weels and rockers..but most important..get up under it and bang around on the floor look it over reaaaall good..speiacially the rear area wear the tailgate bolts on to..that tailpan alwyas goes to hell on these things!!!same with the tailgate..

4. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys. Just got done havin a few brown pops while tearin down a car with a friend. We discussed the K5 in question and I decided there are too many things questionable about the truck to go much farther. Although I'd probably buy it if it had a 400 in it just to get the engine for future projects.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

if something inside tells you its not right then always go with your first instinct!! i wish i had!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif