Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie Q on lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Buzz, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Buzz

Buzz Registered Member

hello, im new to this site and to 4wheeling in general. I just recently purchased an 89 K5 that is pretty much in stock condition. I have a number of things I want to do to it but I figured adding a lift would be the best to start out with.
    I want to put 35" tires on but don't know what a good brand of suspension would be or even what size lift I should get. I would also like to know what the price of the complete suspension upgrade would be. In my area the only 4wheeling option is mudding and I think I will only be doing that moderatly. I would also like some input on what you think a good allterrain tire is, I was thinking about getting some Bridgestone Duelers. Sorry for the longwindedness of this post. Thank you in advance, Blake

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

First off welcome! [​IMG]
    Second off please fill out your profile it makes it easier for us to help you.....

As far as tires BFG's (I have the generic version called Mud Kings which never gave me a problem but others don't like em) are a good brand to get. Pro Comps are good and many time you can get into the buy 3 get one free deal... Consider your budget, what you want to do and then see what tire fits your needs you can afford. I'd suggest joining this site. It's $25 for a year and you can get discounts at places which would save you more then $25 easy. You can get a 4" lift for a reasonable price from Tuff Country. Just remember things like if you get bigger tires and decide to flex it up you may rub unless you want to go higher or trim. If you get bigger tires you need to consider your gearing.... anyhow some things to consider! Be prepared to be addicted... [​IMG]

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well for mud... tire size and wheel speed is the key. Also diff strength. I would say first off assem;e the parts you will need, I would suggest an uprade to 3/4 axles w/ 4.10's at least. That will give you strength and gear for a decent price. down the raod a D60 would be nice up front if you decide to go more hardcore.

Lift wise I would say go the biggest tire you can while keeping street legal. If you just want to play occasionally a 4" lift and 35's is the easiest IMO. Basically get the springs, brake lines, steering arm, sway bar kit and you are in. A 6" lift will give more hassles but allow for further expansion. In addition you will have issues w. driveshaft lengths. Also you may want to just get a CV shaft and convert to a fixed yoke case as smoe guys have a hard time w/ vibes in the slipeyoke type tcase trucks. I currently have a 6" lift on my daily driver 87 so if you have any questions feel free to ask or pm me. Welcome aboard

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

4. Buzz

Buzz Registered Member

Thanks for the replies -nt

nt = no text

5. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Lift? Who needs lift? I have a Sawzall...heheh. I had 4" with 35x12.5's for as long as I was able to drive the thing. It needed a little bit of fender trimming at the back of the front wheels though.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual>http://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual</a>

6. CarolinaBogger

CarolinaBogger Registered Member

I agree with these suggestions, however don't let some of these suggestions intimidate you. I ran a 4" Superlift with 35" Mud Kings (as mentioned above) and had no problems with them rubbing ever, even when it was flexed out. The only other mods i did was a steering arm and lowered the transfer case with the existing spacers located above the frame rails on the crossmember bolts (just invert them). I never had any problems. Now, so nobody yells at me too much, my diclaimer: All trucks/tires/lifts are different, as well as driving styles and conditions. So, you may have differences that you will have to correct. Good luck!