Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newbie question...again

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by epurdy2005, Jun 26, 2006.

1. epurdy2005

epurdy2005 Registered Member

Okay I'm going to take my bad transmission out....I don't even know how to disconnect the driveshaft for the tranfers case.....Do you have to take that plug out? If so how?.Feelin prettu dum here.Is there a write up anywhere about transmissions?...Thanks

2. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

What are you working on? Two wheel drive or four?

3. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Uhm...yeah, uhm try the "Search" function, straight up this page at the 1' oclock spot. Uhm...yeah. my stapler...thats the last straw...

4. epurdy2005

1982 k5 350 tranny 4x4..Maybe somebody can tell me the best order to take stuff off too?? Thanks

5. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

disconnect driveshaft at rear axle, then at rear of T casethen disconnect shift linkage, disconnect the wiring to the tranny, then dissconnect the exhaust, at the manifold to pipe,then take out the tranny to engine bolts.
    place jack strategically undertrans /t case. remove crossmember bolts and be prepared to catch very heavy and awkward assembly!

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

at the very least you ought to get yourself a haynes manual from autozone to start learning about your truck

7. epurdy2005

yea it looks like i'll be working on this truck alot so i better.

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

agreed, the 17 bucks will come in handy from time to time, everything from tools needed, to socked sizes, diagrams and the like,

it will have pics, lingo and a step by step procedure to help ya through it.:D

afterwards you'll feel like a pro!:waytogo:

I would recomemend a tranny jack, or my personal favorite is a come-along through the tranny access plate connected to a roll cage:haha:

dont fool around with that much weight though, at least secure some rachet straps to the frame if you use a jack,

you could also loosen up a couple bolts at your t-case adapter and go wheeling, the case will break near the mount from stress and it will just natually slide of the tranny all on its own!

or put a tire under the truck and let the t-case end flop on it.:whistle:

last but not least..go to your parts store and pick up some absorbant for 6 bucks, or better yet dont do it in a drive way. and certainly not your parents driveway..

9. epurdy2005

haha nice.......yea i'm in the grass with a peice of old carpet....Can you drain the tranfer case?..I'll probably just use a couple of jacks which will be scary.....but hey i'm 19 and always been scaried of transmission work so here it goes....Any other maint i should think about while I have it down? ANy weird parts that might fly out while i'm taking it out or make sure i mark anything where it was before?:eek1: lol....I was wondering about the exhaust...Its leaking from that point on the exhaust anyways so i don't mind taking it off.

10. supersize75k5

Depending on $$$

I would plan on swapping some parts while your into it, are you haveing the trans rebuilt somewhere? anyways I hate..I hate ..I hate swapping tranns in and out, in the last 1.5 years I have had to swap 5 on one truck, thats simply crazy.

spend the money on a new tourque converter, if you are having a shop do the rebuild do your homework on their reputation and abilities, and let them know what you exspect it to do. go to harbor freight "40.00" or some hardware store and spend some money for a large high reach jack, or check the classifieds or craigslist in your area for a used one.

as for the exhaust, some people have talked about the kit from lmc, the price was damn nice and a clean non cobbled up exaust is something to be happy about, if your under there do it once and do it right.

the t-case, some have drains, you should have to use a wrench or a rachet to take out the plug, depends on the case but the manual should say under the maint. section.

also just a note, I cant remember which one it is but I prefer the permatex white gasket sealer, and since you are going to be fluid happy do your diffs while your at it, it might need attention and at the very least you can see if there are metal shavings or some upcomming part failure lol also get some locktight and apply where needed!since the drive shaft is out, get some new decent u-joints, a hammer, some pliers and a socket and learn how to swap them, they may need it anyways and doing it on your bench is alot better then calling a friend to bring you one and fixing it on a nice icy cold day in the snow..

safety is important with that much weight, just take your time and do things right, if it takes a little more money or time then so be it, just do it right and you will have less headache afterwards.

11. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't even think about dropping one of our tranny/tcase combos using "grass and a piece of carpet and a couple jacks". Thats asking to crush your skull in with a tranny. Its one of those jobs thats about 18 million times easier and safer to do with one or two pieces of the right equipment. I used close to supersize's technique, but mine was a engine cherry picker through the door and lower the trans through the hump access hole.

12. supersize75k5

just made me think of something..

the jacks are bad idea on their own in soft dirt, at least put a piece of plywood down so things are more stableand you have a firm surface to work with. im guessin you dont have a cherry picker though:confused:

13. epurdy2005

nope...the trucks at my girlfriends house though.....her dad is a pretty big guy and he'll help me at least.This might be a dumb question..Does the tranfer case have tranny fluid or gear lube in it?..How do u fill the tranfer case or is it with the tranny?

14. supersize75k5

yup, t-fluid or gear oil

some take one or the other, their is a fill on them as well. what t-case do you have?

15. epurdy2005

well i realized tonight I was asking some dumb questions but it really helped knowing to unbolt it from the back axle first....I didn't know the shaft just slid right out of the transfer case....I had a feeling fluid would come out though so i put a bucket under it and it was tranny fluid...I have the 208 transfer case. More questions.....the two i'm not sure what you would call them thats what goes around the bracket you take off to get the drive shaft off.......Has those lined splines on the inside of them..........They all just fell apart and didn't stay again't the sides wehre they began.....Are they supposed to stay up there or do u have to line them all up again along the sides.?

So now I have both the drive shafts off.....pan drained.......and working on getting the hump off on the inside...Its never been off and its pretty siliconed on there or watever..I have to stick a screw driver underneath and pry but it bends it...oh well i guess.

Also you do you have to unbolt the exhaust from the manifold or can u get away with unbolting it where the headers attache to the exhaust pipe?

16. supersize75k5

I think your talking about your ujoints? were they small 1 inch round caps with a bunch of needles like objects in them? if so, you should just replace the u-joint while you have the drive shaft out of the truck. look on google for a trail fix u-joint repair and you should find a step by step for changing it out.
    as for the tranny pan, try not to pry it, if you want to take the pan off and the bolts are already off, just give it a polite tap on the side of the pan a couple times it will come off.:wink1:

for the exhaust, you will have a hell of a time getting it off with the manifolds still conected to the pipes, exhaust is pita so dont feel bad if it pisses you off and agrivates the crap out of you:mad: I have givin up on messing around with junk exhaust.

for the exaust your question is kind of confusing though since you mention both headers and manifolds do you have stock exhaust, rotted out crap or??

17. epurdy2005

Yea its the u Joints....Its not the tranny pan its the hump on the inside of the truck on top so you can get to the bolts..Sorry...Think I found a place to get a transmission jack stand. Not sure how it works I just know it goes on your jack then bolt it to the tranny..

As far as the exhaust goes.....the exhaust comes out of the engine and goes into one pipe right where it connects to the tailpipe. That connection is right by the transmission....Can I just unbolt that or do I have to unbolt the headers from the engine?...Just so you know the headers go into one pipe and then theres straight glasspacks going out the back...Exhaust isn't in too bad of condition though. i'm probably getting my terminology wrong.....Do you think I could get your email? I appreciate all your help.

18. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Can you make sure to take pictures of this whole shenanigans.. umm.... I mean... project? I want to see this!

Be sure to buy a repair manual. And read it several times before attempting the job your asking about. Literaly, you could kill yourself or lose an important limb if your not careful and somewhat aware of what your doing. Feel free to ask lots of questions.

19. supersize75k5

I dont "Do" email much, kind of avoiding the technology till I have to use it:)

your right on with your exhaust questions, the kicker is to use a long extension, or maybe a couple with your 3/8 rachet and a 9/16 deep socket. their will be threaded 3/8 studs in the manifold and then the spring and nut tourque em down. if you twist out a stud or trash them dont fear to much as most auto parts stores sell them in 3 packs and they are often rusted to hell anyways.

something to note as well is that some harware or rental tool places rent out tranny jacks, but it is likly more efective to just buy one as you should take your time, the jack will have straps that go around the tranny to secure it to the jack, and most tranny jacks max out somewhere near 20 inches or so unless they are pricy.

for the tranny hump/access panel, those things are a pita, some have just the sealant and some have 1/2 inch headed bolts and the sealant. if you cant get it off pry it or go get a cheap hand held bottle torch to heat it up...better yet dont use a torch.. lol just pry the mo-fo,

as bizeeb said above, use caution, I can recall plenty of times where I didnt. I have a relaxed attitude sometimes, but when it comes to weight above you you cant be to safe

20. epurdy2005

yea I'll take some pictures...Now should I take the transfter case off and then the transmission. Or drop it as one?

Yea its got sealant and and bolts on the cover.....I'll just keep prying. It will come off eventually....Will update when I get a chance to get over tehre and work on it again. Thanks