Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Newbie Question, Manual Hub Install

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scott87K5, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Scott87K5

Scott87K5 Registered Member

My truck started banging and jumping in the front, so I figured the auto hubs were shot, so I picked up Superwinch hubs today. I assume this is pretty straight forward, but I haven't ever done it. Are there any pit falls, special tools, or things I should look out for? About how long should this swap take (the high here next week is 12 degrees, and I don't have a garage to work in...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is a button at the top that says "Search". There are a few billion posts on how to do this.

3. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Hey, Scott, welcome to the site, or as I like to call it "sight" -- for showing me the light many a time.
    It's been a long while since I did mine but I seem to remember it being VERY straightforward. Since yours is the same year as mine you won't need any extra conversion kits or anything and it's basically just a matter of following the directions, unbolting, and screwing in the new parts.
    Good luck,
    smack

4. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

very easy job, the old hubs are held in by a couple of snap rings so once you remove the cap and those rings, the old one should come right out and the new ones will slide right in. About 10 minutes each side.

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

lol, well put your cloths by the heater before you set out for one. next pick up a chevy service manual, a chiltins should work. next grab yurself some warn hubs. take a torx 20-25 should work to take off the old cap screws, remove the axle snap ring. remove the ring retaining clip. then take some needle nose plyers to get the inner snap ring out of the old autolocing hubs, squeeze it together and draw out the hub innards, take out the washer as well inside. next slap in your new hub assembly, then put on your axle retaining ring, uh oh it wont go on, then reach around to the axle shaft is, push twords you if your faceing the truck, that should move the shaft out so you can snap the new ring on, then put your hub retaining ring on. then you can put the hub cap on, make sure it lines up with the 3 alingnment stubs, and push it on, you might want to lube up the o-ring on the body before you push it on too. then install your new cap screws with a allen key wrench.

i can do both sides in a half hour, but ive done it a few times before /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. and i dont screw around. one other thing i might mention is if you get cold and frustrated, dont get discouraged, go inside and warm up. and also invite a buddy to help you with this if you have one. good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Scott87K5

Thanks for the all the help!!!

Scott

7. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

While you've got it apart, you might as well spend an extra 15min and check your bearings and replace or clean and grease them. It is an easy job. Have fun.

8. Scott87K5

ounce of prevention, thanks.

9. Scott87K5

What a Snap

Thanks for the info, folks. I did it this afternoon and what an easy job. My truck is back on the road, just in time for 4" of fresh snow. Now I don't have to shovel the driveway /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif