Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

newbie question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hi pinion, May 30, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

my battery wont stay charged.Ive checked the obvious,(the batt connections at battery).....it was going for 2 min. charging,then not charging for another couple of minutes.Like up and down.Now it dosent charge at all.Anyone else have this problem? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

not that it would really help you but i have a high amp alt off my 73 for sale, 100 dollars, i think its a 140 amp, from jeggs, pretty much new, v drive pully /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Put a meter on the battery. Sitting it should have about 12.6 volts. Engine running at about 1500 RPM you should see pretty close to 14v. If not you have a charge problem. If your seeing the 14v then shut it off. Disconnect the Negative terminal. Put a Test light between the terminal and the ground cable. If that light comes on you have a battery drain. If not....Go get your battery tested. It's probably bad. Wallfar batteries suck and expect then to eat it every 1.5 years.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I dont know if this will help much, but mine was doing the same thing for a while. Mine had a bad ground or pinched wire somewhere. I took the engine out and put in another one, and it works fine now. So, check all of the wires you can to make sure they arent pinched between 2 things.
    -Harrison

5. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

well check the cells make sure they aren't dry and then proceed to inspect the full length of the cables check connections at both ends

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys,ill check all of these things,starting from the easiest on up.I goter on the charger right now.Hey.......Grim.howd you know i had a wall mart? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifjake

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like I said on the phone Jake, charge up the battery fully and run it down to Kragens where you got the alt and have them do a load test for free. They will be able to tell if it's the alt or batt. I would load test it for you but you are 80 miles away. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif another thing you could do to test the batt yourself is to fully charge it, let it sit for 2 days or so, and try to start it. If it starts nice and fast then the battery is holding a charge, obviously if it just goes click click then it didn't. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thanks man. Another thing i was going to do to check to see if it is charged(if its ok with you) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.......is to get a peice of metal,and hold onto it,arching the negative and positive terminals with the metal /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif the old school way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifJ/K im chargin it right now /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Thats how I tested my marine battery. Used an old wrench... lucky for me she was nearly dead /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif We harass one another on a regualr basis /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks man. Another thing i was going to do to check to see if it is charged(if its ok with you) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.......is to get a peice of metal,and hold onto it,arching the negative and positive terminals with the metal /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif the old school way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifJ/K im chargin it right now /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Whats the amp setting on the charger? Leave it on there for a few hours and then try to fire it up. You will know if it sounds right when you start it. If it barely starts or just clicks and the charger had been on it for hours than it is the batt not taking a charge.

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

it was making a sizzling sound when i took it off that charger last night. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    it was making a sizzling sound when i took it off that charger last night. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well that means that power was getting to the cells but what was the amp setting?